Which Heritage breeds?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fowled-out, Jun 7, 2011.

1. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    I have choosen to raise heritage breeds for meat birds now after seeing my friends Cx. I dont want to risk with the FR too. So my choices are plymouth rocks, RIR, Australorps, and New Hampshires. Which of these breed or any breed you suggest can grow to 4 lbs in 5 months? I like grandpas fried chicken and he raiese BR when I was a kid so I am replicating that. I am ordering extra layers for this purpose and plan to slaugter in october in time for festivals. thanks!

2. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey! I'm sure people will chime in... but I was wondering if you readthis article ? It's a great read!

Good luck with your meatie adventure [​IMG]

3. StoneyRidge

StoneyRidge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I too would like to know what breeds and strains other people have used to raise good meat chickens for the family farm. I do not like the cornish cross meat birds offered today. They just are not healthy birds. I have some light brahmas that take a long time to grow but get very large. I am guessing 10 to 12 pounds once mature. I sure wish they grew faster. I have some buff orpingtons that I have crossed back with a large buff orpington rooster and I got some large birds that do grow quicker than the brahmas but not near as big.

4. philintheblank

philintheblank Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Edmonton
    I had Barred rocks and RIRs last year... at about 5 months the barred rock roos were a good size, the hens were a little smaller but still a good size by the time they started laying, and the RIR roos were decent but a little smaller, the RIR hens remained smaller in porportion to the barred rocks, i was feeding them layer feed though, not meatbird diet. i also didnt keep the roosters once they started attacking eachother, i just rehomed them. I have Buff orpintons this year and they are growing a lot faster then the previous breeds mentioned, i have heard they are good tasting also, this year i will be butchering my roos when they reach weight.

5. fowled-out

fowled-out Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Elk Grove, Ca
    I have settled on 25 Partridge Rocks. I heard they are great layers, mothers and have a fair amount dressed at 5months. Plus they are very pretty.

6. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:Our Buckeyes are 3.5 to 4lbs dressed in 19-20weeks. Whites rock are still a favorite of ours. We have enjoyed the Barred Rocks too.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:It sounds like you have decided a hatchery is your best bet for heritage breeds. I think on the meat side you will be sorely disappointed, they will be nowhere near the weights your thinking about getting. true heritage breeds can only come from heritage breeders not hatcheries. Just stating the obvious.

8. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Dark Cornish.

9. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    your question got me to thinking a lot about heritage meat, so I spent some time looking around the web for more info.
    best page I found was on mother earth news about heritage chickens, I am sure you can search it and find the article (don't know if I can link to it)
    there was a list of many heritage birds and just a bit of information about each.
    Good luck with your birds and update us on your experience, I am learning a lot thru this site and ppls experiences as well as my own trial and error.

10. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    don't know how long it takes for them to get the right size, but my sussex are some big, meaty birds.

we've got FR's, and they're doing great; i don't see a risk with them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by