which incubator? electronic thermostat or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Alphagamchick, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Alphagamchick

Alphagamchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    MI
    I'm about to buy a Hova-bator incubator. I had one as a kid. I'm sure it was a still air one but I had great luck with it. We had chicks all the time.
    This time I thought I'd buy a forced air one but I was wondering about the electronic thermostat. Is it worth spending the extra money for that? Any words of wisdom on incubators. I want to spend around $100 or less. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  2. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I got the still air one and will be putting my first batch in this week. So I don't know which is better, but I paid 45 dollars for the still air one and the fan is 35 dollars seperately. I think I have seen on here that some don't pay that, but here in MS we do, so I am going to try it without the fan for a while and see what happens. Good luck to you.

Marie

3. chickiemom

chickiemom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I have a forced air little giant. I like it. This last batch didnt turn out that great, but I think I know what I did wrong. And I agree in the south we do pay more for farming items.

4. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Isn't that crazy. What did you do wrong on you last ones, just so we know what not to do? I do have an old computer with a cpu fan I may try to install? Seems I read on here that you can do that. Anyone have the link? Thanks. Nice to meet you and hope you have a good experience with chickens. Let us know what you get and how it goes. I get my first set of eggs tomorrow!!!!

Marie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by