Which incubator for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jenfork, Nov 8, 2010.

1. jenfork

jenfork Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I want to hatch my first batch? Which incubator is the most foolproof? I've been looking at the Hovabator Genesis 1588, Brinsea mini advance & the octagon 20 advance. I don't think I want to hatch more than 12 at a time. And the Hovabator holds 42. Which should I choose? I rather not spend too much too.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have the brinsea mini advance and LOVE it. I'm on my second batch now. Successfully hatched 4 out of 7 shipped eggs doing dry incubation for a week and a half, then wet, then filled both reservoirs at lockdown.

Oh and I bought mine at a lower price at the brinsea website. (Check there for prices before buying if you choose it.)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a genesis 1588 and it was recommended by speckledhen and I've not been disappointed. Spend the extra money and get the turner and you should do ok. Definitely go "incubator warehouse" they have the best prices, or at least did when I bought mine.

Wishing you the best
    Rancher

4. jenfork

Sep 1, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Do you need the extra humidity pump, to work with the Brinsea mini advance?

5. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    The humidity pump is an added nicety

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If you decide to go with the Brinsea, they are having a sale on their website right now and there is an additional 10% off discount. I saved a bunch of money when I ordered mine (it arrives today! [​IMG] ) I will get the discount code for you.

ETA - here is the code MOAC2010

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. jenfork

Sep 1, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Thanks. I just can't decide on if I should get the mini advance or the octagon 20. decisions, decisions....................

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I know it is a hard decision. I decided to go with the "incubator for dummies" [​IMG] and got the Octagon 20 with all the bells and whistles. I figure at least I won't have to worry about the bator screwing up the hatch, just me. [​IMG] I guess if you are only going to hatch a small number of eggs at a time, going with the smaller model (and saving some bucks!) is a really good idea. [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:No- there is a mini advance "ex" version that is different from mine- maybe that's what you are thinking of (it's more expensive)?

10. littlepeddler

littlepeddler Chillin' With My Peeps

The Brinsea company has contacted me about the use of the MOAC discount code
    (MOAC2010) and apparently the last 20 orders using the code were not MOAC
    members. The code has been de-activated.

So there is going to be a new method to using the code.

The new code is MOAC*****. Please let all your members know that we will also
    require their membership number to be entered in the special instructions box at
    checkout. We will also check against the membership list on your website.

Kind regards,

Pascale Deffieux Pearce

Brinsea Products Inc.

Prior MOAC members should contact MOAC for the code.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by