Which incubator should I get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    I think I want to hatch chicks again....but I'm tired of buying those LG incubators. Which incubator would you recommend to hatch chicken eggs?

2. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    I prefer home built. Works like a charm and is 1/4 of the price. Pepsi cooler, or wine cooler depending on how big of one you want. This one was a pepsi cooler, 5 1/2 feet tall. Will easily run 4 turners. Want something smaller, do the same thing with a smaller cooler.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I completely agree with you, but you got to get to know your bator & what its capable of, I love my bator I made out of a Omaha steaks ice chest, it will hold about 24 eggs, I dont use a turner I use cartons & prop them against the wall of the bator, I think opening up a bator of this size has no affect on the hatch rate, who knows it may be a good thing, my hatch rates are excellent.

4. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:Looks a bit high tech for me, you've got more tech talent than me! Good Job!! [​IMG]

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Brinsea Octagon Eco all the way! W/ ato egg turner. Fool-proof all the way.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    A friend of mine got a Genesis 1588 as her first incubator and loves it! She's says it's very beginner proof and easy to use.

I'm hoping I can find a used Genesis (easier on the pocket book) before hatching season! [​IMG]

7. Amigatec

Amigatec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Haskell Oklahoma
    Which turner for the Gensis 1588 would you use for Turkey eggs?

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:I asked a fellow BYCer and he said that the "pullet" turkey eggs may fit in the usual chicken/duck egg rails, but most turkey eggs require the goose egg rails. [​IMG]

9. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    " friend of mine got a Genesis 1588 as her first incubator and loves it! She's says it's very beginner proof and easy to use."
    Brinsea looks fancier but Genesis 1588 is cheaper, more versitile, and hold more. I have both and I'll never buy another Brinsea. As a mater of fact, anyone wanting to trade a good working 1588 & turner for a brinsea eco 20 with turner < contact me>

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  10. Danny39

Danny39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    Ohio
    Love my Genesis 1588!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by