Which incubator to buy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkymom1986, Oct 7, 2011.

1. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    I currently have the LG incubator and I am wanting to upgrade to something that will hold a temp steady, but not cost me a fortune! I have looked online and I want to beat my head against the wall [​IMG] from reading all the mixed reviews so I was hoping to get some ideas from you helpful people! [​IMG]

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The Hovabators seem to get consistently positive reviews. Broadly similar in size, shape and design to the LGs but just all round better quality.

Brinsea bators are also VERY good. Smaller, and more expensive, but moulded plastic instead of styrofoam, so longer lasting.

3. ronniewayne

ronniewayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    QUEEN CITY,CASS COUNTY
    I bought a used GQF sportsman cabinet....a bit pricey at $350.00 but i am new to incubating and wanted a stick them in and watch them hatch....i am pleased with my first batch hatched and the second one in ....it holds temps well you can make the humidity what you want...the turner is auto and mine has the auto float so you just add water to the bucket on top and watch the eggs....i dont know what your budget is ..but i see the styrofoams with turner and accesseries reaching $200 or more .....happy hatching [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Any bator other than an LG is an upgrade, if you want cheap search the net seller sites or CL for a good deal.

5. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    I LOVE my Brinsea. It holds a steady temperature, and with the auto turn in, you can really just set it and forget it. They may cost a little more, depending on the size you want, but I would say they are a good investment.

Also, I've heard good things about the Hova Bator Genesis. Can't speak from personal experience, but it seems to be a popular one. [​IMG]

6. silkymom1986

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Thanks for the replys, yea I have heard great things about the GQF sportman but 350 isn't really in my budget, I'm looking to spend around 100.

7. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I recently purchased the Genises Hovabator 1588 w/egg turner and have been very pleased with it.

It takes very little effort (kind of a plug-n-play model) and is dependable.

[​IMG]

8. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    Quote:If you do end up choosing a Brinsea, they have a 10% off coupon code until the 16th on their facebook page right now. [​IMG]

9. silkymom1986

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Quote:I looked this one up, and I like it, and the price. I hadn't seen this one before when I was searching. Thanks.

10. silkymom1986

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    Quote:I looked this one up, and I like it, and the price. I hadn't seen this one before when I was searching. Thanks.

Dang out of stock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by