Which Incubator to Buy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rose66, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    We are thinking of trying our hand at hatching some chicks later on this spring. We are looking for an incubator that holds about 12 standard eggs and is very easy to operate. Are their any articles on the different types of incubators and general advice on deciding on which incubator to buy? Also, if anyone has any suggestions on what would be a good brand/model, we would very appreciative.

Thanks!

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

Ok there are a few things I'd need to know before suggesting a incubator.

Is there a cost range you wish to spend? $50 - $500? and yes there are small 12+ egg incubators out there for over $500
    Is this a once, twice a year thing? are you going to hatch every month?
    Are you hatching local barnyard mix eggs? or eggs that cost your $5 a egg? (or what ever you call expensive eggs)

There are a lot of incubators out there and each has it's flaws.

3. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:
    Thanks so much for responding so quickly. I think we would like to spend no more than $200. At this point, I think the hatching will only be once or twice a year and we would be hatching local barnyard mix eggs. All of these answers could change in the future but for now that's what we're planning. Thanks.

4. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

So I would suggest either
    Brinsea Octagon 20 Eco with turner
    Hovabator Genesis 1588 with turner

I really prefer Lyons Tech Incubators but they are more then $200 even for the smaller models.

BUT you can buy a thermostat and make a incubator if your the DIY kind
    Just make sure to put your money in the thermostat everything else can be salvaged/free stuff but the thermostat needs to be reliable and precise.

5. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

Oh and.....
    Both will need to be in a temperature stable room
    No drafts
    and turn on a few days a head of time so you can fiddle with the temp until it stabilizes at 99.5/100F

They are not the best so will need water added every day or so depending on your local humidity and you will want to check the temps a couple times a day if you can to prevent any sudden jumps in temps either up or down.

6. MA Mama

MA Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2012
    MA
    I just got the Hovabator Genesis 1588 and it is holding temperature and humidity like a champ. I had an old Hovabator styrofoam incubator that was awful, so I bought this new one and it seems totally fool proof. I am totally new to incubator and chickens but the 1588 seems to be makin git that even i can't screw it up. It was $200 with the automatic egg turner, but I actually wish i didn't get the egg turner - I kind of enjoyed having to turn the eggs by hand before!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by