Which Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jpepmiller, Mar 2, 2017.

1. jpepmiller

jpepmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Louisiana
    I'm wanting to hatch out some of my own eggs but incubators can be expensive. Any input on an affordable one that work well. Right now I'm looking at a couple from tractor supply.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The tractor supply models will most likely disappoint you, especially the digital little giants. The farm innovator has slightly better rep, but very mixed reviews. The only styro I'd recommend would be a hovabator. They aren't as cheap as the TSC bators, but way better, and not as pricey as the Brinsea and R-Coms. They are a nice middle range bator, that works great. I just upgraded from my LG to the Hovabator 1583, (non digital) and I paid $122 and it was well worth it. I prefer to hand turn, and prefer non digital, so it's perfect for me. The 1588 is digital and about $50 more with shipping I think.

3. et22

et22 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2016
    I use the farm innovations model 2200 circulated air incubator. I have never had a problem with it. It is under a $100. The only thing about it is you might want to buy a separate humidity gauge to put in it. I don't think the one I have is accurate anymore. Also just watch the temp in it. They give you a thermometer to use in it. There isn't an automatic egg turner in it but you can buy one separately if you don't want to turn the eggs everyday.

Good luck finding one!

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I've talked to people that liked theirs and had good turnouts and I've talked to people that had nothing but trouble. That one just has so many mixed reviews. I'd have my own therms/hygrometer in the bator though no matter what bator it is... especially the digital LGs. You can not trust the bator displays. Glad you've had good luck with it.

5. jpepmiller

jpepmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the help. I'm looking at doing a DIY incubator but I'm not sure I have the expertise. Lol

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    There are threads on here with lots of ideas and experienced people that you could look at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by