Which incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hottchick, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I borrowed two incubators, one is a Hova Bator circulated air without an automated turner. The other is a Marsh Automatic Incubator manufactured by Lyon. It has an automatic turner. The Hova Bator has been maintaining it's temperature fine. I found instructions for it on the internet. This Marsh one that I borrowed looks nasty (dirty) to me and like it has not been maintained. I'm a little scared of it.

Would I be better off to use the cleaner one and turn the eggs 3 times a day? Or should I try to clean the nasty one and not have to mess with the eggs so much? And what's the best way to clean it?

I'm waiting on shipped eggs right now.

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    The best way to clean it is with a 10:1 bleach water solution. Be sure you rinse it well. I can attest to the Hovabator because I have one and I love it. I cannot tell you about the other one. I've never heard of it. I'd say clean it up and try it to see if it hold temp and humidity like the Hovabator does and then determine which one you like best. You can always buy a turner for the Hovabator if the other one fails.

3. Hottchick

Jul 29, 2010
    I just realized that the little plastic tray that goes into the bottom of the incubator is missing. Does this affect it in any way? The bottom of the incubator is shaped for water troughs. I'm so afraid I'll do something terribly wrong.

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Lots of people on here use sponges to regulate humidity and do not use water troughs. Let me go look at my Hova.....you are correct. Without the plastic tray there are no water troughs. Take a sponge and wet it (someone else is gonna have to chip in for this advice or you can search it on BYC) and place it in a plate or bowl or tray of some kind. Monitor your humidity. If it gets too humid, cut the sponge down some. You can also check with GQF (manufacturers of Hova) and see if you can order a tray from them.

5. luvanimals2

luvanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Personally, I would go with the Auto Turner because I had to hand turn and it just got old real fast.

I have a few of the Marsh/Lyon incubators and can probably help you out a bit. From what you are describing, I assume it is a TX-6 or TX-7? Are you saying that the orange or blue tray w/ the water trough is missing? If it is, I do not see how you can use it. If you do have it then I would try to clean it up and see if it can hold it's temp. Because if it is not maintained and as dirty as you say then it may not be in working order.

Nancy

6. Hottchick

Jul 29, 2010
    Actually, the bottom of the incubator is shaped to hold water. There are two reservoir sections--one for incubating and one for hatching. That's why I didn't immediately notice the plastic liner was missing.

I plugged in the Marsh/Lyon and it's making terrible noises. The fan sounds like it's about to die. I won't chance that.

I guess it will have to be hand turning. This is supposed to be my son's science project so I will try to get him to be responsible for turning eggs. Of course, I know my son and I'm sure I will be doing most of it. Of course my oldest daughter has volunteered also. She certainly loves the chickens. My youngest won't want to be left out either, I'm sure. She wants to go out every day and collect our one little egg that's laid.

7. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Is the auto turner for the Marsh a removable one or a built in one? If it's removeable, you could probably fit it in the Hova Bator.

I personally haven't used a turner for a year or two since mine broke. I've found I have a better hatch rate as long as i remember to turner them.

8. Hottchick

Jul 29, 2010
    The two units are not really compatible at all. The one is round and the Hova Bator is rectangular. I guess we'll just have to see how turning goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by