which is better a boy or girl duck????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 4hducklover, Jul 18, 2010.

1. 4hducklover

4hducklover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2010
    [​IMG] i know that girls are better but which is better to get a boy or a girl duck? i would like one that is calm and easy to handle! also what breed do you recommend? i have been thinking about pekins but not totally sure!!!!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They both have their Pros and cons. Males are much quieter but if u have too many drakes they tend to fight a lot. Its easier to keep a few females together than it would be with drakes. However females are quite loud. I prefer females as pets rhough.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. Gerbil

Gerbil Oh, Crazy!

Jun 24, 2010
    My drake Is friendly all of the time even when his girl Is broody.

P.s He Is a Muscovy. [​IMG]

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If you can only choose one, boys are quieter and my boys are friendlier than my little girl-I can catch them and hold them. She screams bloody murder when I hold her! Love them all though! [​IMG]
    I am probably not a good person to ask about breed-I am STUCK on the Calls-there are MANY beautiful breeds to choose from, though.

5. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    i have muscovies and my girl is very friendly and interesting in what we are all doing (up to the point in charging into the house everytime the door is slightly open)
    My drake is (was [​IMG] ) very laid back and everytime we let them out follows us around. When the girl is on the nest he'd sit with us on our camping chairs on the hill [​IMG] he's very very chatty and fun.
    But both of these were hand raised, and i've heard scovie drakes can get aggressive if they have no girl around?? Mines had plenty of times with no girl anywhere around and only been more interested in hanging with us.
    Not sure, but i love them both to bits and would easily reccomend both of them!! [​IMG]

*also my drakes a bit easier with the handling part, we can pick him up any way we want and he's not stressed. My duck is fine, but sometimes she gets a bit worried i think [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by