Which is better for breeding?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by chickenboy1, Nov 19, 2011.

1. chickenboy1

chickenboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    I just got 3 wild turkey hens and 2 gobblers. The one gobbler has a problem with his wing and he falls and just lays there he is 1 1/2 year old and the other gobbler has one eye messed up but he can partly see out of it sometimes and he is 2 1/2 years old but the 1 1/2 gobbler does not gobble but the 2 1/2 year old gobbles at another gobbler up my road.I need to sell one and keep one.So which one should I keep for breeding?

2. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    The bird that gets the job done.

3. chickenboy1

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    I wish I knew but I need to get rid of one tommorrow night but idk wich to keep and which to sell?

4. jasonm11

jasonm11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    tioga tx
    If one falls off it can't get the job done

5. chickenboy1

Jul 16, 2010
    Gordonville pa
    What do you meen if one falls off when they are breeding? Eastern wilds do not breed this time of year I don't think

6. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Sell both and get another male. If selling both of them is not an option then keep the dominante male. Hope this helps.

7. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm APA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Monticello, Arkansas
    Not sure of your location, but most states require a permit to breed or even possess wild turkeys.

Don't ever breed from a sick or inferior bird of any species. I would slaughter both toms and locate a healthy one.

8. BubAnna Angus

BubAnna Angus Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Tipton, MI
    Quote:This was the most entertaining strand that I've read in awhile. At first, I thought it was some sort of mathematical riddle.... Thank you.
    On the serious side though, I would agree with JimsFarmStand - I think you're setting yourself up for frustration by keeping either one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by