Which is better: Mottled Cochin Bantams or Silkies??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 14RiceM, Oct 20, 2013.

1. 14RiceM

14RiceM Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well. I am getting some new chicks (happy birthday to me!!!), and I was wondering what your choice would be between Mottled Cochin Bantams or Silkie Bantams. Both look great. I'm looking for just a small backyard flock (3 or 4) with friendly hens who like being around people [​IMG] Any preferences?? Picking is so difficult!! [​IMG]

Thank you so much!!! [​IMG]

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    silkies are prone to extruded skulls, cochins are more durable for that reason. cochins will lay more eggs typically, but not always. - neither breed is known for good egg production - im going to guess 80-120 eggs a year per hen.

1 person likes this.
  3. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    forgot to say [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. 14RiceM

14RiceM Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you! I'm not necessarily looking for eggs-- that's kind of just a bonus [​IMG] And they would be the only breed in the coop, so would the extruded skull pecking issue be as much of an issue if they were all Silkie? Sorry, I'm new to the chicken-owning scene [​IMG] The obsession with them has been much longer!

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    silkies aren't as aggressive as other breeds, and usually in small groups do well, just make sure there is plenty of room in the brooder. once they are over a couple months old extruded skulls arent an issue anymore.

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Silkies are more fragile; can't fly at all, cold in winter, hot in summer. Cochins should be much hardier. Both tend to be very sweet birds. I personally favor the Cochins! Mary,

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's not about 'better', it's about what you like best. Consider some of each and discover who you like best. Mary

1 person likes this.
  8. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

silkies can hadnle both the heat and cold even though their feathers dont look like it. the big thing about them is their crest,making them hard to see. so if you want a bird to free range go for the cochin. :)

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is there a reason you can't do one or two of each? Different lines have different personalities. I have known some really nasty tempered cochins.

10. jonsccm

jonsccm Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know how much space you have. But bantams are small and don't need a lot of space. I have been struggling with this myself. I will be using them as brooding hens. But I could not decide between silkies, mottled cochin, and mille fleur d'uccle. I found that every one has a different opinion and so in the spring I will go absolutely crazy and get some of each! Then after the first year I will decide what direction I will go. I may even try to do some crazy cross breeding with all three!
    I say just go crazy and clean up the mess later. Lol! Can't go wrong with pet bantams! If they don't work out most people do not have a problem finding new homes for them.
    Trial an error, you have to see what is best for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by