Which is better Roo Brown layer with Hen Blue layer for green eggs or reverse?

Jan 27, 2022
Wanting to breed Isa Brown with my blue bells for green eggs. Do I use the Roo with the blue bells or a blue bell Roo with ISA browns for best results? Thanks

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this. From what I understand (& I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m mistaken).

Bluebells have one blue egg and one white egg gene if I’m not mistaken. If they have 2 blue egg genes it would be 100% green egg either way.

If they have white & blue gene, I think either would have 50% chance of light brown and 50% of light olive.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this. From what I understand (& I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m mistaken).

Bluebells have one blue egg and one white egg gene if I’m not mistaken. If they have 2 blue egg genes it would be 100% green egg either way.

If they have white & blue gene, I think either would have 50% chance of light brown and 50% of light olive.
F1 blue bells (1 white/1 blue gene) bred with 2 brown gene layer has a 75% green and 25% chance brown off spring from what I heard??

F2 Blue bells have 75% 2 blue genes and 25% 2 white genes. So If I breed a F2 blue bell with 2 blue genes to a Brown layer with two brown genes.. As long as the brown layer is not maran the result is guaranteed green eggs. With maran it's olive egger. However, I hear that in some cases, it's better to breed one breed over the other for best results with chicks and egg color. But, I am not sure if it is always the case here. So before I decide, just hoping for clarification. :)

Gotcha! I wonder how the F1 1blue/1white bred to brown results in a higher percentage green than brown?

I find chicken genetics so fascinating. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to learn even more! Hope you don’t mind the intrusion! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom