Which is better? Sal Fav or Ameraucana?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Triplecross, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Triplecross

Triplecross Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    I have a chance to get chicks of each breed but both are looong drives and in opposite directions. I'm having a hard time deciding what to do!

I love the fluffy faces and rareness of both, but want to hear from owners what is great about these breeds!

I'm just a hobby chicken owner, so I won't be showing them, I just love eggs for eating and rare/ unique pet chickens!

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    yes I like the ameicauna with the nice blue eggs but the salmon faveroles are a good breed to I would recommend the Americauna though

3. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    Thanks Roada Red, I do like the blue eggs for sure: I have a few EE's that lay blue and green. It's very fun having colored eggs.

Do anyone have both Sal Fav and Ameracanas?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I'll start by saying that even though most hatcheries offer "Ameraucana", they are actually selling Easter Eggers. Sexed true Ameraucana chicks can only be found through Meyer Hatchery or MyPetChicken, and they cost a lot. Most breeders will sell unsexed day olds for much less. Salmon Faverolles aren't rare, they are readily available through most of the big hatcheries. Good examples of the breed are hard to find though.
    Salmon Faverolles pullets will be easier and cheaper to obtain; something to consider if cockerels or budget are concerns.

5. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I do but the are both mixed together and If u have the blue and green layers I would get the salmon faveroles to add more color to the egg basket but r u wanting to own the ones that lays the most eggs

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've had Easter Eggers, Ameraucana and Faverolles.

My Faverolles were sweet birds, but they didn't do great in the flock with other breeds. Too docile and submissive. They're beautiful and would make great pets I think, but I wanted more livestock type birds and they just weren't a good fit for me. They also weren't great layers. Decent, but not great. Plus, feathered feet---you need to consider the amount of mud you deal with and how you'll manage those fluffy toes in the winter and spring.

If you already have EE that lay blue eggs, I'm not sure why you'd want to pony up for Ameraucana unless you're going to be breeding? They're nice enough birds, but for me I like the variety of EE, in both plumage color and egg color. Some folks like uniformity, I live everyone to be a little different from each other.

1 person likes this.
  7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I have Faverolles. As donrae stated they do not do well in a mixed flock.

If you are going for a long drive for either of them, how sure are you that the breeders have good examples of those breeds? Are you sure the Ameraucana breeder has true ones and not Easter Eggers? Are you sure the Faverolles are close to the SOP and aren't hatchery stock?

8. Triplecross

Jan 6, 2013
    Southern Michigan
    What good info to chew on. I ended up getting Sal Fav and I didn't know they were not rare. Hmm, I'd never heard of them before this year. They are about a month old and seem to have good coloring, and I was able to view the parent stock too.

I just found a chicken buddy who got her hands on some Ameraucana chicks, Lavender and black split!!

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Good Faverolles are rare. Who did you get them from?

10. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Most of the "easter eggers" that people talk about when they say stuff like this are closer to the Ameraucana breed standard than most hatchery Faverolles are to theirs.

Remember - the Ameracauna is an American breed that was created FROM EASTER EGGERS.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by