which is better?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sailor_v, Dec 1, 2007.

1. sailor_v

sailor_v Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    california
    which is better for hatching eggs?
    homemade incubator or buying a incubator

i tried hatching some silver sebright eggs.thing went well untill a certian day the eggs died on me(usually 5 eggs or so are left but dont hatch on the 21.i gave them one more day but still didnt hatch)

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That really depends. Building one you will learn a lot more. buying one is you get what you pay for.

3. sailor_v

sailor_v Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2007
    california
    ok.

um just woundering do i have to turn the eggs 3 times a day or just 2 time a day?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Eggs are turned odd numbers during the day...3 or 5....I turn my eggs 3 times a day....

Lots of people have good hatches with homemade incubators...I choose to buy mine but will try to make one one of these days...

5. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    I built my bator and so far it has done excellent,knock wood,i tried to turn mine 3 times a day,i was out of town for a day and a half ,so they didnt get turned at day 13-15 or so, or once on 13 and once on 15 but they are hatching now 5 out with 8 piped and one i hear peeping out of 16 eggs>I think the most important thing is to start with GOOD eggs, my eggs were in the bator no later than 5 days after being laid and were turned and taken well care of before i got them,good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by