Which is better?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by humptydumpty, Feb 24, 2008.

1. humptydumpty

humptydumpty Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2008
    Brandon,MS
    Which is better for the money, an eglu coop or is it easier just to build a coop your self

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I'd say you could make a much bigger and better coop with the money if you know how. For the cost of it, you could probably hire someone, pay them and still end up with a better coop. The eglu is nice, but its too small and very expensive.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Build one, you'll get WAAAAYYY more for your $$$

4. humptydumpty

Jan 20, 2008
    Brandon,MS
    me and my dad are going to build our own coop, just wondering if we should just get the eglu, i would rather build a coop

5. bullydog

bullydog Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2008
    NJ
    build it! put some good time in knowing that u build what your chickens live in! good experence for woodworking and carpentery too but I dont know if you have the tools. hmm, if you have a circular saw for tools that only major one I used with hammers or a drill, which ever u like to put it together. I built mine when I was 13 so its 3 years old and still working and for only three chickens.

6. humptydumpty

Jan 20, 2008
    Brandon,MS
    i have the tool and 6 acres of wooded property so if i build it they will come

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Build your own; you can make it cheaper and/or MUCH better suited to your own and your chickens' needs. Plus it will be an Educational Experience, try that one on your dad if he is reluctant [​IMG]

Have fun,

Pat

8. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I built one by myself it is not that hard and you will get more for your money those eglu things don't even loook nice toooooooooo small

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by