1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which is bigger?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by candy37, Oct 3, 2007.

1. candy37

candy37 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    South Texas
    I have white leghorns. They are 6 weeks old. One of them is quite a bit larger than the rest. We are wondering is that a roo?
    Are roosters larger than hens or does size not matter?

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    It could be a roo, but all 5 of my buff's are different sizes and so are all the rest of my chickens. One of my barred rocks I thought was for sure a rooster, but low and behold she layed an egg. If you post a pic I'm sure someone would be able to tell you by the comb, wattles, saddle feathers, and etc.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've also had chickens of the same breed grow at different rates, be different sizes as chicks and turn out about the same size as adults.

4. candy37

Aug 22, 2007
    South Texas
    I will try to get a pic this evening or tomorrow. Of course, then I have to figure out how to post a picture on here...[​IMG]

I have a total of 9, and only the one is a different size. It is quite a bit larger, DH says it is huge compared to the others.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Roos can be a bit bigger but you should be able to tell by comb very easily who is a rooster at 5 weeks old in this breed. Hope that this guy isn't an accidental cornish x got mixed in thing.

6. candy37

Aug 22, 2007
    South Texas
    I tried to take a picture yesterday but failed. Darn, they are fast! They run around squawking when I bring out the camera. I will try again.

How can I tell by the comb? What should it look like at this age?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by