Which is harder to get rid of?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tazcat70, May 26, 2010.

1. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Feathered or yellow legs?

Thanks!

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    It depends on what you are working on, and what traits you are looking for. Heritage/Pedigree of the bird/s plays also a big role.
    Hopefully someone might be able to give you a answer.

3. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    feathered legs only take 2 generations to breed out. i dont know about yellow legs

4. flower

flower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2009
    SW US Desert
    Quote:Does that mean that if a feather breed hen is breed with a not feather breed rooster their off spring two genration down the line will have non'fearther legs. This might be worth a project bird if that is so.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I hear 2 years claimed quite often on breeding out feathered legs, but in experience it takes many more than that as random feather sprigs can show up in the line for quite some time. It is also very dependent on appropriate selections and culling.

6. tazcat70

Ok, I want to do a new color of Orps. I would like to do either Cochin or Wyandotte (single comb) to do that. Which would be best to start with?

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    On Leg color --
    If the rooster is pure for Yellow legs and if the hen is pure White legs;
    Cockerels White Legs and Pullets White Legs

If the Rooster is not pure for Yellow leg color
    Cockerels Blue or White legs and Pullets Blue or White legs

If the Hen is not pure for White Legs
    Cockerels Yellow or White and Pullets Yellow or White

If neither Rooster or Hen is pure for leg color
    Cockerels Green, Yellow, Blue or White and pullets Green, Yellow, Blue or White

Chris

8. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    Quote:Does that mean that if a feather breed hen is breed with a not feather breed rooster their off spring two genration down the line will have non'fearther legs. This might be worth a project bird if that is so.

something like that. if you breed a feather legged bird with a non feather legged some of the chicks will be feather legged and some won't. if you breed the chicks that aren't feather legged together then the offspring should all come out with non feathered legs

9. tazcat70

Great information.

On the assumption that both are pure on leg colors. Will it also take 2 generations?

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If both parent stock is pure for leg color you will see that leg coloring in the first generation off spring.....
    If the rooster is pure for Yellow legs and if the hen is pure White legs there offspring will be Cockerels White Legs and Pullets White Legs....

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by