Which is more important for my pond? Pump or filter???

C&Rman

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Nevada
I don't know they diffrence between them but pumps are cheaper. I have a 8'x8'x2' deep trough that I am going use for call and mandarins. But which one would keep it cleaner? A pump or a filter???

A pump is going to just circulate water. If the water is gross, it will circulate gross water.
A filter will do just that, filter.

Quote:
Ok thank you! So I will buy a filter, how many gallons is a 8x8 pond? I assumed it is 640 gallons?

C&Rman :

Quote:
Ok thank you! So I will buy a filter, how many gallons is a 8x8 pond? I assumed it is 640 gallons?

Sorry, but your math is missing a conversion factor. There are 7.48 gallons of water in a cubic foot. Your trough is 8 x 8 x 2, or 128 cubic feet. So, 128 * 7.48 = 957.44​

You need both a pump and a filter. The filter you can make yourself. I use a large storage bin or garbage can. I put like a laundry basket inside . Inside of that I put a mesh clothes bag with polyester stuffing and pantyhose with activated charcoal in it. The pump sucks out dirty water, which goes into the filter. I set the filter by the side of the pond, and put holes up high for water to flow out. Or you can use PVC pipe if you want to hide it somewhere.:-D

Ok I love your pot/filters Wifezilla....
I was thinking of using a 5 gallon square bucket would that be big enough for the filter?

C&Rman :

Ok I love your pot/filters Wifezilla....
I was thinking of using a 5 gallon square bucket would that be big enough for the filter?

No.

My ~900 gal pond has an added on ~70 gallon skippy filter attached at the back. It helps, but certainly doesn't keep it algae and poop free.​

Ok so could I use my feed barrel? It is 32 gallons, that is the biggest thing I can find? Hmm I think I should just buy a filter! I found a 1000 gph filter that is $92.00 then I found a pump that pumps 1035 gph, that is 50.00 that is putting me way over my limit my wife will probally divorce me
wink.png

how many ducks do you have. I know after 5 or 6 ducks in a pond that size. It is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline

Back
Top Bottom