Which is more quiet? The Austerlop or the Bared Rock?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kataloo, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    Pretty much the title asks my question. I need quiet birds so my neighbors don't get upset. I guess another question would be which one would be better around kids. I'm planning on 2 buff orpingtons, and want to have two more of the other breed. But which one? Or should I get the 2 buffs and one each of the others?

Thanks

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    No hen is completely quiet, and I don't think we can answer this question. There are loud and quiet individuals in any breed.

I do think the Barred Rock would be a better pet, as the are calmer. But either breed would be a fine choice for a family.

3. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    I would completely agree. We have Austerlops, Barred Rocks, RIR, Americanas and Buffs and I have some ladies you never hear a word from and others who just chatter all of the time. I would say my Americanas are the quietest of the entire group but I am not sure if that is associated with the breed.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would also say that Ameraucanas (EE) are quiet. My girls hardly ever make a sound. My loudest is a BSL. Besides, if you have kids, you gotta have blue and green eggs.

5. Kataloo

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    Thanks for the advice. I am thinking of going all Buff Orpingtons or a mixture of 2 and 2. The other two would be the EEs. Do they fly much? Should I clip their wings? I have a 5 - 6 foot fence around the property, but I only want to put a 4 foot fence around the garden.

6. cference

cference Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    We have buff's and barred's, both have no problem clearing a 4' fence! Healthy fat girls. You can teach them not to fly over the fence by running a strong fishing line a couple inches above the fence top to deter them. They prefer to jump up ON the fence and then hop down. They don't like the string and seem to recognize it after 1 or 2 trys

7. Kataloo

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    Brilliant. I love BYC because I learn so much. Thanks!

8. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

I think the barred rocks, because they are very friendly and quiet. Mine give lots f eggs- ( I get one a day from each) and don't fly unless they are scared badly or want to get out of the snow. THe only thing about the buffs is every so often the do this ' whining' thing that's really loud and I can hear it from outside the coop. They also give a lot of eggs bu I would'ntreccomend hem for people who want them to be quiet.

9. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    There are always different personalities in every flock. Just as there is the roulette of getting nice roos or some not so nice, noisiness depends on each individual.

That said, Barred rocks are probably about the quietest out of the two. We heard some Australorps crowing at a recent poultry show, and those were pretty loud. In their favor, they were large roos too.

Our production reds are extremely friendly, but full of energy, busy, talkative and expressive. All the roos crow off and on all day, starting at 3 am. LOL It's not too bad actually- we don't think that their crows are obnoxious. Each roo sounds different. We have one roo who sounds cute, like (soft, low monotone, run together...) "A,B,C......" Another roo we named, "Scooby Roo," as he made the 'Scooby' sound.

Our quietest breed is the French Black Copper Marans. Besides being mellow and docile, lovely to look at, minimal noise. The hens lay a pretty, large, dark egg. Both of our roos only crow once or twice in the morning, perhaps only twice in the afternoon, and they are both very sweet, docile boys that fall asleep if you hold them. However, those few crows are loud and distinct. We have OEGB who are louder (more piercing) and crow more often than them.

The loudest bird we'd ever heard was a Jersey Giant named, "Mr. Big." He bugled like a bull elephant.

10. cference

cference Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    Also don't be afraid to clip a few flight feathers on your birds. It's very easy, lots of videos on internet on subject. We don't because our birds are free range and want them to have every advantage to avoid predators. If you're trying to keep them in a yard/run clip a few feathers and observe them. If need be clip a few more, very easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by