Which is noisier - a Silkie rooster or a bratty hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vermontgal, Jan 11, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

People have said that Silkie roosters are sort of quiet (and nice), some of them anyhow. I have some pullets who are getting to be real honkers. I am just wondering if I could get away with a Silkie rooster with my coop that is about 40' from my neighbor's houses? My grown up hens may be too noisy come summer, but I hope not! My neighbors have kids who run around and yell a lot (playing), so that's our quid pro quo.

Edit punctuation. Corrected pullets vs. hens.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    I would get silkies! i'm getting some eggs soon!!!

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Definitely get the silkie rooster. Actually, I have some available if you'd like 'em! [​IMG] They need a good home, as long as you don't mind with them being pet quality. I have one who I've heard crow only once.

4. L*A*G*

L*A*G* Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    planet chicken
    wish u lived closer [​IMG] have any secrets on how to get them like pets?
    Quote:

5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    *L*A*G* :

wish u lived closer [​IMG] have any secrets on how to get them like pets?
    Quote:
    By pet quality I meant they weren't as good as show birds. They wouldn't do well in shows compared to stock from a breeder. But mine are still good for pets anyways. [​IMG] The key is to spoil them like little babies [​IMG] Give 'em treats, hold them as much as possible, etc. etc.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by