Which is smarter-your rooster or hen?

littlelemon

Songster
12 Years
Mar 15, 2007
Ohio
I think I know what people are going to say here
big_smile.png

I just can't believe how dumb my roo is, lol.
Every day my hens fly over the chain link fence that I have surrounding my run, and many times the roo will follow. It doesn't matter HOW MANY times he has done this, he STILL cannot figure out how to get back in! When my hens want to go back in they simply fly back over the fence, but my roo will spend all evening running up and down the fence line, crowing and agitated until I pick him and and put him back over the fence. This has gone on for months. It is disgraceful I tell you, lol!

My hens on the other hand really do show signs of intelligence, or at least learned behavior. Their actions are more measured, and they have learned to respond to me in a way that I feel shows a little more than just basic instinct.

Which is the smarter gender in your flock?

The girls of course!

The rooster has three things on his mind

1) Where are my girls
2) What goodies to I have for my girls
3) Is there anything I see that I need to alarm for to protect my girls?
tongue.png

oh boy. My girls. my roo came running to me and turned right into the flower garden fence. Head on, full speed force. I picked him up. gave him a kiss on the head and put him back down

It depends on the individual, but right now, the smartest in our flock are our roos Dazzle, Checker and Fuego. Some of our other roos, not so much. The hens seem to lean toward the dumb side though there are a few that seem to have brains.

My hens seem to be able to outsmart the roos every time. In the roos defense, they are very
good guardians and are always on the look out and not always watching the hens shinanigans!

well I for one, don't know why people think roos are so dumb! Just this morning, after Brownie (my 7 month old ee roo) finished his crowing on the gate, and hopped down-- the wrong way:he-- and wandered around confused for about 10 minutes, he hopped back up onto the gate, crowed somemore, and hopped back into the yard. Ok, so this is the FIRST time he's gotten himself back in, and I or one of the children didn't have to open the gate for him... but that doesn't mean he's a bird-brain, does it? LOL

eta: when ds went to check on the chickens, Brownie came running, and ran headlong into a post

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom