1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which is the best bedding to use for my baby chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickitty, Feb 22, 2012.

1. chickitty

chickitty Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Mangilao, Guam
    I'm just wondering what kind of bedding i should get for them...[​IMG]

2. Coveacres

Coveacres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2012
    Ellensburg, WA
    I use pine shavings. Just be sure to cover it with paper the first day or two so that the chicks dont think its a food source :)

3. chickenmanII

chickenmanII Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    I agree, we use pine shavings. They work really well you, as coveacres said you do need to use paper on the first few days, and after that you have to change it often it gets pretty nasty pretty quick.

4. PrettyCoy

PrettyCoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    I used sand and I'd definitely do it that way again. Any droppings dried right out in the sand and were easy to scoop out with a kitty litter scoop. There was never any smell or dust issue either. Also, the chicks can use the sand as grit.

1 person likes this.
  5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I use kiln-dried pine shavings. No paper. Just shavings. Have brooded hundreds of chicks over the years that way.

1 person likes this.
  6. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    That is genius! What kind of sand? Play sand or what?

7. PrettyCoy

PrettyCoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Yes, just regular play sand from Lowes/Home Depot. We use it on our run as well.

8. Nslangton

Nslangton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    I love the sand idea. How many days old do they have to be before they can go on sand?

9. NewChickHere

NewChickHere Chillin' With My Peeps

I would love to use sand too but heard it's much more economical to get it at a sand/gravel place rather than the bagged playsand. There is a WHOLE article on using sand Nslangton if you go on the Home page then to the Learning Page, then under Housing and Feeding, THEN Using sand in your coops. Whew. lol. Anyway, I just found that this morning and am pretty
    sold on the idea, but look at the sand they recommend. Playsand WILL work for sure but I think it would be cheaper to get a truckful if needed and they're saying it is a better
    form of sand too. I don't know but I want it for my chicks AND my whole chicken coop so will definitely need more later. Kim

10. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    I vote for sand to. We love using it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by