Which is the best?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Junior112, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Okay, so i've read through these forums on feed brands, but the ones recommended arent available near me, (SoCal).... So I looked around the only two feed stores near me and found they have Purina, and Nutrena, Econlay Mash (which i'm assuming is off brand), and AceHiFeeds. I cant seem to find any of the feeds on here except for Purina which has been said to be a no go. I also heard to be very limited if any scratch.... So any advice would be great! I have four hens that are 7 weeks.

I was also wondering how much and how often I should feed them. I'm planning on free feeding from a home made feeder but i have started yet. I just toss it on the ground.

Lastly, Do I need grit, my backyard is completely rocks that are around inch X inch. I cleared away a lot of it for them but there's still some rocks for them to use.

Any advice would be great as well as anything I should know.

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Out of all the ones you listed I would go with the AceHigh Feed and there ---

It has a good Animal and Plant based Proteins along with Animal and Plant based Fats.

3. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Even if my hens are going to be layers? Why would I want gamebird/Turkey instead of like layer pellets?

4. hebertchick12

hebertchick12 Chirping

Jul 2, 2014
    Raceland, LA
    Why is Purina a "no go"? This is our first time raising chickens, and at 18 weeks we switched our hens to Purina Layena Plus. They have been laying for about 2 months now... never had a problem. Nice hard shells since first one. It says on the bag its a complete feed, no oyster or grit supplementation required. Not sure if it is supplied in your area... we bought it at Tractor Supply Co.

Also, ours free range occasionally... but I still always have feed available for them. I just refill when I see it is getting low, and they don't seem to be going through the food like crazy.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  5. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    I've never been told a reason why Purina is a no go. That's just what I read. I currently use Purina chick feed. They like it and seem healthy. I was going to stick with it til I get weird of something better. Which is why I posted this.

6. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Songster

Jun 10, 2014
    I also question why Purina is a no go.

My general policy is if someone tells me to do/not do something, and can't give me a specific reason why, I ignore them. Understanding the underlying reasons is important in all things.

7. Junior112

Junior112 In the Brooder

Jul 13, 2014
    Bend, OR
    @CrazyTalk I completely agree which is why I still use it. This post is to get more insight on the pros and cons of all these brands. Sooooo go! Or if anyone can give info on how to get Kent or blue seal in my area then please do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: