Which is the largest breed with the biggest eggs?oh, sweet personality

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by leecey411, Aug 9, 2008.

1. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    I have all bantys and now I want the biggest, sweetest, hens to provide me with nice delicious eggs! What's your opinion?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I've heard Jersey Giants are big-- like 3 ft. tall +. But, I've never seen one and don't know anything about their general personality-- or if bigger chickens mean bigger eggs. . . You'd think so, though, right??

3. Rabid Vulture

Rabid Vulture Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Sherwood, Oregon
    Sometimes largest doesn't mean the most eggs. Leghorns lay the most eggs but are a bit flighty. Rhode island reds are easy to get and have wonderful personalities. Those are the hens that I have that produce the most right now. They'll follow you all around the yard, and like to beg for scraps. I don't know much about Ameracaunas (easter eggers), the one I have is pretty anti-social.

The personalities of chickens depends on the parent stock, just like any animal. The same about egg production to a degree.

4. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Regular Top Hats are very large and so gentle and beautiful. The eggs are wonderful! Here is a photo of a Roo They come in a variety of colors.

[​IMG]

This is one of mine!
    [​IMG]

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Delawares are right up there, I dont know much about the personality though.

Orpingtons are wonderful.

Brahmas are huge, have great personalities, but eat a lot I am told.

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Australorps are big meaty birds and are excellent layers of large tinted eggs. They are considered by many around my area to be the perfect chicken and people are willing to pay a nice price for a young hen.

7. harvey

harvey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  8. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i own jersey giants.. they are HUGE. i get alot of people just stop and ask me what the heck are those! they are as big as goats.. lol.... the eggs are drk brown and good size.. they arent as affectionate as some other breeds, but they arent mean.. in my experience.

9. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Delawares are great layers, and if you buy from the right hatchery or breeder, they can be very sweet as well.

10. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    My friendliest birds are the Wheaten Marans by far. Second is the Delaware. Then, the RIR was such a puppy dog too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by