Which is the Welsummer and which is the Speckled Sussex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by djunafarms, Mar 27, 2017.

1. djunafarms

djunafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Hello! I bought these babies two days ago, they are five days old. I can't tell which is the Welsummer and which is the Speckled Sussex. I've looked at photos online but have found different photos to support either chick being either breed. I am very new at this (have been raising chickens for two days, actually) so feel free to laugh at me if this is a silly question. Thank you!

[​IMG]

This is Djuna above -- I think she's the Welsummer?

[​IMG]

Above is Djuna (Welsummer?) on the left, Little Jerry (Speckled Sussex?) on the right

[​IMG]

You can see Djuna (Welsummer?) on the far left and Little Jerry (Speckled Sussex?) next to her. Little Jerry has two solid white feathers on each little wing.

Thank you for reading and for your comments!

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I hope this helps

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's going to be hard to tell who is who at this stage. Leg color is going to be your best guide until they feather out. The Wellie should have yellow legs, the Sussex will be pink/white.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

5. djunafarms

djunafarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2017
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks, all! They both have pink legs, but the one that i think is the speckled sussex has pink-ER legs, so i am going to assume i guessed correctly. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by