which is which..Rhode islanders

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by samsflock, Jan 27, 2010.

1. samsflock

samsflock New Egg

Oct 15, 2008
    Franklin NC
    was checking into some new breeds, my choice of preference is Brahmas and Orpingtons..but I was out voted or over ruled by the Mrs. and we went with Golden Comets and white leghorns. Mainly because they were free and given to us by 2 friends who were changing their breed selection, 1 went to Rhodes and the other went to Delawares.. any ways my question is in the Breed forum there are 2 Rhodes Islands shown 1 has a white rooster and the other has a red rooster. Are they 2 different lines of Rhodes?...Thank you for shedding light on this,also which would be the better line to o with?..Thank you again and sorry so long winded. [email protected]

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Yes,there are 2 types of Rhode Island they come in red and white.The true white version has a rose comb but hatcheries have also come up with a single comb variety.Neither is better because all are great [​IMG] We have both and in white both combs..we do find our sc variety to lay better in our winters..someone will disagree with that I'm sure but for us they do. The best chicken for you depends on why you have them..eggs,showing,breeding for show,breeding for eggs,dinner or just bug patrol. We personally breed for eggs health and disposition I want them to look like they should but don't obsess over it like I would if I were showing them.
    I may be the wrong one to ask though...all chickens are good chickens to have [​IMG]

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    They are two totally different breeds. In fact, their are two breeds of Rhode Island White. Single Comb and Rose Comb. The true Single Comb Rhode Island Whites are very rare! I did not even know that they existed until Kelly Klober showed me a pair.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Per the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection Rhode Island Whites are rose combed only. There are people selling what they sa are single combed RI Whites but they always look like hatchery White Plymouth Rocks to m. I've never seen a SC White with proper type. In fact it's rare to even see a Rhode Island White at all, pretty rare.
    The Rhode Island Red & the Rhode Island White are in fact two different breeds, not varieties of the same breed.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    [​IMG] That's also what I was meaning 2 breeds but both called Rhode Island...I was in a hurry with kids pestering me.Now,I can easily tell my sc variety from my White Rocks in looks and attitude. I will also say if you want show birds I wouldn't get either we use ours for sex link chicks because of how well they lay only. My rose comb whites are here for a cross breeding project only right now.

6. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Quote:Per the American Poultry Association Standard of Perfection Rhode Island Whites are rose combed only. There are people selling what they sa are single combed RI Whites but they always look like hatchery White Plymouth Rocks to m. I've never seen a SC White with proper type. In fact it's rare to even see a Rhode Island White at all, pretty rare.
    The Rhode Island Red & the Rhode Island White are in fact two different breeds, not varieties of the same breed.

Exactly. That is why they are even more rare than rose Comb Rhode Island Whites. He had a pair to show though.

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

Exactly. That is why they are even more rare than rose Comb Rhode Island Whites. He had a pair to show though.

If you were to show a pair of "Rhode Island Whites" & they were single combed they would be disqualified. It's not about them being rare, it's that RI Whites are a rose combed breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by