which is which.......

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Woodcox Acre, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the Barred Rock and the Dominique? They look so much alike. Would there
    be a difference in egg color?

2. dominiques have rose combs, rocks have single combs

3. heres some visuals:
    Dominique:
    [​IMG]
    Plymouth rock:
    [​IMG]

4. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    Thank you so much, that really does answer it for me. [​IMG]

Those are great pictures

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Another significant difference is the quality of the barring. Dominiques are cuckoo barred, meaning that the barring is very fuzzy: think of it like drawing lines feehand with crayons. Plymouth rocks are crisply barred, think of it as being like lines drawn with a felt tip and a straight edge.

Body shape should be a bit different, too, but I'm not up to speed on dominiques to know exactly how they differ.

FWIW, I have a rose combed barred plymouth rockX--nice crisp barring. His rose comb makes him a mutt, not a dominique [​IMG] One copy of barring, so the barring looks like his half sisters.

Egg colour should be pretty similar between these two breeds.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The bottom photo looks like a Marans, not a Rock [​IMG]

Outside of hatchery stock, the two are very different. Barred Rocks are much bigger, and very rectangular in shape. Dominques are smaller, and have an upright, proud carriage with a higher and more noticeable tail carriage.

With hatchery stock, there's no difference except for the comb type.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by