Which ivermectin for dogs?

Pics

paddock36

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 24, 2008
Ocala, Florida
I know going to the vet is the best way but really can't afford it right now. A co-worker told me they use horse wormer (ivermectin) for their dogs in stead of the vet's office heartworm pills because it is cheaper. Has anyone else done this? Which one is the best to use? I have talked to a few people and have been told two different types, the liquid and the paste. It would be for a large Newfoundland/Lab-mix 120lbs.

My vet told me giving dogs horse ivermectin, and in some dogs any ivermectin, was a guaranteed way to kill them. He told me never to leave around any of the syringes, or even drop any of the little end caps.

Last edited:
I dose all my dogs at 3-6 mcg/#. You can use any of the ivermectin formulas, liquids, pastes, as long as you do the math and stay in the allowed doseage. I use .8% sheep drench, as that is the formula that I find works best for use in my Boer goat herd, so I have it around. This specific formula contains 300 mcg/cc. So I dose my dogs, my weimaraner for example, .8cc or the equivalent of 240 mcg of active ingredient which corresponds to her weight of 80# dosed at the 3 mcg/# rate. I use it on all my dogs, they are all hunters, gsp's and Wiems, and have never had a problem. You need to pay close attention to the math...mcg not mg... .6cc not 6cc....BTW if you have never given an Ivomec product to this specific dog you will need to have an antigen test done before you start. If there are already heartworms present an Ivomec dosage could very well kill the dog...JMO...Do you Own math With Your Own Product...

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm not a vet and one should follow their own comfort zone.

Ivermectin is ivermectin .. whether they put in a pill for your dog or a syringe for your horse. I've been using ivermectin for horses to do all my worming (horses and dogs) for years. Some breeds have been known to be sensitive to ivermectin (particularly collies), however, I have Belgian Tervuren (another herding breed) and have used it without incident on dozens of dogs. It isn't too hard to calculate the dosage (and no, it doesn't have to be exact ... consider that you buy a pill that is ok for a dog from 15-30 lbs). I keep unused portions in the refrigerator.

I also use other horse products for other worming (panacur, etc). However, I don't use any other livestock formulas (cattle, etc) on my dogs or horses.

You'd want to be REAL comfortable that you are not mistaken about whether there is any collie-type blood in your dogs. Even mixes that do not look greatly collie-ish can carry the gene that makes them hypersensitive to ivermectin and overdose on it.

Pat

Quote:
I've read that thread and think that the math, which is never written down except for one type of ivomec, is shakey at best.
Secondly A dog that has a heartworm infestation will die if given ivomec. Read infestation....Heartworms could be present in the dog in a low concentration and ivo could do the job without apparent damage to the dog But at the higher critical level an ivomec treatment WOULD kill a dog. A heartworm infestation that is subsequently killed off would cause massive damage to the heart upon the parasites exit. True enough the dog could live but the heart could also be damaged beyond it ability to function.
I also think caution is the best bet. If you think there is even a chance that your dog may react poorly to Ivomec/heartgard you should have him tested..But I also think that most vets are More Than Happy to DOCTOR away on you dogs, as long as you have the money. If you have ever dealt with large animal vets you will soon see even they question "normal small pet practices". Best to have a good relationship with your horse vet and let her watch over your dogs.....I haven't had an antigen test on any of my dogs for years, on the advice of my horse vet, but they get their monthly Ivo dose.

Ivermectin will not kill a dog that is heartworm postive. Many shelters use Ivermectin as a off lable treatment for heartworms since the only approved treatment called Melarsomine is very expensive. Ivermectin doesn't kill the adults but it shortens the life and sterilizes them so in two years the dog will test free.

Quote:
many shelters also gas dogs regularly to "free up more space"so I would think the few they lose to Ivomec misuse might just be helping their cause...you didn't Read Infestation...shelters= bad example for anything. Just an FYI Ivomec is a heartworm killer not an inhibitor...maybe just a simple google search?

Last edited:
I use to breed dogs on a large scale and this is the formula my vet gave me to use:

Do not use ivomec on collies, sheepdogs, Australian shepherds or Old English sheepdogs!

I mix 9cc of water with 1 cc of ivermectin 1% solution (cattle injectable kind)...that will make enough to treat 100 lbs of dog weight. Give (orally) 1 cc of the mix per 10 lbs of body weight. Do this once a month for prevention...it also helps with control of other types of intestinal worms.

The cost I spend to treat one dog for a full year is less than $1.50!!!!

Back
Top Bottom