which kind of chicken would be best to show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenman98, Jun 24, 2010.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    [​IMG] hi, this is my first year in 4h and i was wondering what kind of chickens i should show. i have some i like:
    silkies
    cochins
    barred rock
    sumatra
    pheonix
    ameracauna
    dark cornish
    deleware
    brahma
    polish
    they have to be banties because i already built the coop and it isnt big enough for LF. i dont want game bantams because i dont want to have to have them dubbed. i am trying to stay with the ones on my list but if there are any other good ones please let me know.
    thanks,
    Ryan

2. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    So far I've shown three times!!!!!!!!!!!! My LF Polish was very nice, but doesn't like to pose and was way too heavy. A friends silver penciled rock bantam was nice, but still a bit heavy, but was very calm. My cochin used to be a house chicken, so all it wanted to do was be petted. I now have a belgian bearded d'anver quail bantam and she's super small, quiet, but isn't that calm. I'm working with her right now, though. Brahmas would be good. I'm going to hatch one soon for showing.....but I'm really liking my d'anver. She's very pretty, too.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The best is the breed you like the most & that you can get the best quality birds. Nearby breeders that will help you learn the specific breed you choose are also valuable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by