which leg bands to get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joe17, Jul 18, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I did consider the wing bands but I would probably injure the chickens trying to put it through their wing. I decided on leg bands. I looked at the site http://www.nationalband.com/nbtpoult.htm and I am still debating on the last three leg bands on that site. I may get the double end clinch because you dont have to buy an 18 dollar applicator! I was wondering if the double end cinch ones would fall off then because Im sure the applicator makes it more permanent. Anyone ever bought these type of leg bands? If so I need feedback [​IMG] If you dont use either leg band, which one do you use? I still dont know which one to get.

2. cpartist

cpartist Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Alachua County FL
    Quote:Hi Joe...do you have a lot of birds to band? If you don't then I recommend the the spiral plastic bands. I got a 100 pack off Ebay for maybe 10-15 bucks including shipping. I got the assorted colors and sizes so I'd be able to bands different ages. You are limited to maybe 7 colors, but by banding different legs (left vs. right) or double banding, you can get likely get enough combos for tagging each breed. They hold up well, and haven't faded in the sun. You just have to be vigilant about changing them before they get too tight on a growing chick....but I'm sure that's true for any leg band. The only thing I don't like about them is they have sharp pointy ends, so adding and removing is best performed as a two person job.

3. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I only have about a dozen silkie soo I will definitely consider those!!! Can I leave those on when I show them? Is that a dq?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  4. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    What size spiral leg bands should I get for silkies??? How do you put the on? Any sites I should buy from? Thanks! Ohh and how long do they stay on an adult chicken? Are they permanent?

5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I banded some chick's once I wanted to keep.Never Again I had gotten the Spiral one's.If you are brooding a large number of bird's I wouldn't even bother.I had So many silkie's at one point and was working 10 hour's nights then one Roo I kept for breeding started limping.I was SOOO sure I had gotten all those thing's off.Luckily he he made it his foot was so swollen etc.I don't band anymore I can pretty much pick out a few chick's by coloring etc. I want to keep and by a few month's old can tell if roo's or hen's.I thew the thing's out.My goslings arrived with the 4 males banded and I took them off in the first week.If you want to band adult bird's for what ever reason they are grown then and wont have to worry about the leg growth but I wont ever band anymore of my young one's.

6. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I use the plastic bandettes with the number on them for my silkies. (Size 11) It is a requirement to show any poultry that they must have a band to ID the bird.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Joe,
    I will say from past experience that the last 3 bands on that page are not worth the money you will pay for them.
    I put those type of bands on about 50 birds last year and I believe only 2 bird still have them on all the other broke off luckily I also have wing bands on them (the Jiffy 893)

I think you would be far better off with the Plastic Bandetts 902-914 .

Chris

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  8. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Okay I will order some of the plastic bandettes. What size should I get for a chick and started birds? I will order the size 11 bandettes for the adults.

It is a requirement to show any poultry that they must have a band to ID the bird

What do I have to put on the bands for the shows? I just put them so I know which birds are mine? Ohh and Chris, what is the price for the bandettes? I only see the prices for the spirals. I might just get them from a different site.​

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:What do I have to put on the bands for the shows? I just put them so I know which birds are mine? Ohh and Chris, what is the price for the bandettes? I only see the prices for the spirals. I might just get them from a different site.

Size 11 is way to big. I use size 9 on all my silkies, males and females. Size 11's will slip off too easily and could ride up the leg and get stuck.

10. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Really? I guess I will just use size 9 then! lol How do you put them on? Is it like a rubber band or something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by