Which of these 4 roosters would you choose?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by brummie, Oct 26, 2016.

1. brummie

brummie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2013
    One of these 4 will be my main flock leader and breeding rooster for the next year. Within about the next 6 weeks I need to have only one of these guys left. But I can't decide which one to keep. So who would you choose based on looks and the qualities I point out below?

1. They are all happy, healthy and active.
    2. They all have the same father who was an Indian Game cross Light Sussesx.
    3. Non of them have started crowing yet or displaying any other grown up rooster traits (even though their father was a big crower, every time he crowed he had to let about 20-25 crows out at a time).
    4. They are all about 23 weeks old.

I am not after any particular traits. With a father like that I know their offspring won't be the best layers. I am also not too fussed about meat qualities, although I don't want a particulalry skinny guy. I just want a good flock leader, protecter and breeder, and a rooster who looks quite nice. The hens the chosen rooster will have will be some large ones like sussex, and even smaller ones like leghorns.

Rooster 1 (below): This guy is at the top of the pecking order out of the 4 roosters. However, he is also the one who gets scared easily and runs at the smallest sign of trouble. Quite panicky. He is also the largest in terms of size, quite large.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rooster 2 (below): This guy scares quite easily, but no where near as easily as rooster 1. He can be quite calm at times. He is about the same size as rooster 1. He is 3rd in the pecking order out of the 4 (there's actually a circle of pecking order betweeing these remaining 3 roos, so they are all essentially 3rd in the pecking order.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rooster 3 (below): Noticeably smaller than the above 2 in size, but still a good sized roster. Quite calm, does not scare as easily as the others. 3rd in pecking order.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rooster 4 (below): Maybe slightly smaller than rooster 3 in size, about as calm as rooster 3 if not calmer, does not scare easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So if you had to choose one of these to keep for the next year, which one would you choose?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Which of them do the hens like most? Do they run away from any of the cockerels? Keep the one they are most comfortable with.

3. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Just as far as coloring, #3 is quite nice.

4. brummie

Aug 30, 2013
    All 4 still run away from all of the hens unfortunatley. I was hoping they would be mature by now so I could see who would make a good gentle rooster to keep, and perhaps crow the least, but all 4 are still acting like kids. Within the next 6 weeks a couple of them may have matured somewhat, but I don't think I'll get a fair idea as they might all still not have matured, so that's why I thought I'd ask others opinions, based on the current info I have and of course their looks, which one is a keeper.

They don't bully each other, all 4 get along fine with each other.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You'll get some red sexlink chicks with that red boy. And I love the lacing of the third. The second boy seems to have a nice stocky build, if meat is one of your goals. Boy #1 seems a bit too lanky for a good meat producer.
    Which you choose to keep depends on what goals you have.

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Like GingersHuman, if it were color, I choose #4 but then again I like "red" in m birds. Since they're getting along I'd keep them ALL, allowing them more time to mature & develop into their "adult" personalities. Never easy trying to decide which to keep, I've rehomed pullets only to regret when my new batch develop [​IMG][​IMG]

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    From color and description, I'd choose #2 or #3.

You will obviously need to look at: temperament in general
    behavior towards humans
    behavior towards hens/pullets. Does he tid bit, does he break up hen squabbles, does he woo the ladies or just jump on them?
    Is he a good guardian?
    Body conformation: feather quality, good meaty carcass, comb and wattles meet your flock goals.
    Crow: Does he have a crow that is somewhat pleasing to the ear, or does he remind you of fingernails on a chalk board?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Sounds like it'd be best to wait and see. Then you could cull as you go, getting rid of one at a time that you definitely don't want.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Cull as you go, not all at once. The scrawny one, would be out in the first go around. I like a heavier rooster, but I like dual purpose birds. To each his own wants and needs. I would butcher two of the smaller birds, then wait a bit and see. That will give you a bit more space per bird, always a good thing.

Then near the end of your time period, pull one rooster, see how the flock acts, do you like it, are they peaceful or tense? If so, cull the other one, or switch them out, and see again.

I solve for my flock.

Mrs K

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  10. brummie

Aug 30, 2013
    Thanks guys. Good advice. I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by