Which of these breeds will do well together?

HaloAmanda

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2016
Norwalk, Connecticut
Hello! I'm starting up with chickens again. I had a large range in the the past among several coops and runs. Rhis Time I have 1 coop amd 1 run and want to make sure my breeds will mix well. We plan on having 12-16 hens, no rooster.

This is the list I have put together based on our needs and desires. Looking for input on which breeds will do best mixed among eachother.
I've placed a * next to my top ones I would like to have in the flock.

We live in Fairfield county, Connecticut:hot summers and cold winters. We have a well built large coop.

I have a aost 3 year old who will be with me caring for them daily which is why I've chosen most of these breeds.

Jersey giant. This is the main breed I know we are set on.

Ameraucauna, easter egger, olive egger. (Plan to have 1 or 2 of the 3)

Australorp

Barred rock

Blue isbar

Brahma

*cochin

Delaware

Favorelle

Golden comet or golden nugget

Hamburg

Turken

New Hampshire red

*orpingtons

*speckled sussex

Welsummer

*Wyandotte

I don't see any reason why all of those breeds could not get along well together. You may have an individual of almost any breed that might be ornery, but generally those types of birds will get along fine

I don't see any reason why all of those breeds could not get along well together. You may have an individual of almost any breed that might be ornery, but generally those types of birds will get along fine
thanks, that's what I'm hoping as we would like to have a variety with only 1 or 2 of several different breeds but I want to be sure they will all do well together. I understand they all have personalities and I may have some particularly bratty ones or bullies but trying to plan and build with enough room to keep the bullying to a middle. But I think most of these breeds tend to be pretty docile. I crossed Rhode Island reds off of our first list. Lol

I agree. Hamburg's can be a little flighty is the only thing I'd add.

I did have hamburg in the past and that was my experience. Read a lot of good things about them. Our were nuts. Any suggestions on a laid back white egg layer. I do not want leghorns.
Spitzhaubens or Polish. Pretty limited outside of the Mediterranean class "majority of the white egg layers". White Faced Black Spanish typically are the most docile out of the Mediterranean class.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom