which of these chickens would be good for eating?

leilalu

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
So we have 8 chickens currently, which is great for eggs, but not so good as far as crowding when not roaming the go backyard, and for feeding them! We want to go back to 4 chickens which was our origional number before aquiring 4 additional ones from a neighbor. We have:
4 Golden Sex Links
2 Austroplorpes
2 Barred Rocks

Now, the Barred Rocks often give us trouble, hiding eggs in strange places and trying to nest... not wanting to give up the eggs at all. Though I would love to let them raise young, we are not zoned for roosters currently, and having just had my 4th child I am not sure I am up for that just now! SO I am wondering which of these birds may be good to have butchered. I admit to being a newbie when it comes to this part! They are almost a year old, all of them.

So do you thinkas far as taste goes that they would be good? I would prefer to eat the BR and the SL, because I prefer the Astralorpes:)

I got a straight run of Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks in August. Four turned out to be roosters (2 BO and 2 BR). We have now processed all four but have only eaten a BO and a BR so far. The BO we roasted and were pleasantly surprised by how tender and delicious he was. The BR I put in the crockpot and he was so tender that the meat was literally falling off the bones and we all licked our plates clean! The sex links are bred more for egg production whereas the others are dual purpose birds so you're probably better off eating them. However if they are young, laying hens, I'd be inclined to put them up for sale on Craigslist. You could probably get $10-12 apiece for them. Mine were roosters so it was an easier choice.

Well I am offering them to some freinds, but never thought of sellng them! I hate to get rid of any of them actually...

I used to feel that I never wanted to get rid of any of mine either, but I had ordered 75 pullets that I was going to keep and a friend wanted some. So I sold 40 to him and after getting that money I had only paid $15 for the remaining 35. I was not sad because I knew that they loved having chickies as much as me. I looked at it from my point of view when I get to be the one buying. So exciting to have the little guys and that is what I did for them!! So we both made out good.
wee.gif
ya.gif
bun.gif

aww, that's a good way to look at it:) I think we have decided to try to give them away or sell them at this point... SInce we don't *really* want to eat our birds and we would have to spend money since I don't want to butcher them either! Maybe if we had lots and lots or if we raised them for meat, but we know each one by name and rocked them to sleep as babies,lol:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom