"Which of these hens is my biological Mommy?"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MarylandChick, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MarylandChick

MarylandChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    A.A. County MD
    All my chicks were fathered by my black Jersey Giant rooster but because everyone kept leaving their eggs in front of my broody hens, I don't know which chick came from which hen. I know it's very early on for guessing but I'm just so curious. [​IMG]

This was my first chick to hatch. (Chick 1) It came from a medium sized light brown egg. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was my 2nd chick to hatch. (Chick 2) It came from a larger blue egg so I'm pretty sure she came from my white and gray hen. [​IMG]

This is the third hen to hatch, it came from a slightly smaller brown egg (Chick 3) [​IMG]

Here are my suspects (hens most likely to have laid the eggs in question)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh and I'm guessing that chick 1 is male because:
    He came 3 days early [​IMG]
    He has a wrinkley thingy between his eyes
    When he hatched he had a wierd extra thingy between his legs below where he was connected to the yolk.
    Could I be right?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    A weird extra thingy....well, that about sums it up!!! LOL!!! I don't know if those reasons are why he could be a roo, but I read a few posts where most people experienced their first to hatch always being a roo....so you could be right! Don't know about which hen could be the culprit, though....Cute little chickies!!! Congrats on the hatch!!!

3. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I dont know who theyre from BUT they sure are CUTE!

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Those are some adorable chicks! I think you're right on the one that came from the blue eggs. Is the white and grey hen and Easter Egger?

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It's way too early to know for sure, and you may never know for sure...but, that chick #2 looks exactly like the black hen in the nest box to me! [​IMG]

6. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    If number 2 came from a bluish egg, then your white and black hen is probably the Mom. She looks like she's probably an Easter Egger......I don't mean the black and white one that looks like a barred rock though.

Hard to say on the others.

If that one is a barred rock, they lay medium brown eggs.

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Looks like chick #1 came from the black hen in pic #2.
    Chick #2 must have came from your EE hen (the white and gray hen)
    Chick #3 looks like it came from your Dominque

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by