"Which of these hens is my biological Mommy?"

MarylandChick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
A.A. County MD
All my chicks were fathered by my black Jersey Giant rooster but because everyone kept leaving their eggs in front of my broody hens, I don't know which chick came from which hen. I know it's very early on for guessing but I'm just so curious.
big_smile.png

This was my first chick to hatch. (Chick 1) It came from a medium sized light brown egg.
chick1a.jpg

chick17.jpg

This was my 2nd chick to hatch. (Chick 2) It came from a larger blue egg so I'm pretty sure she came from my white and gray hen.
DSC00210.jpg

This is the third hen to hatch, it came from a slightly smaller brown egg (Chick 3)
DSC00212.jpg

Here are my suspects (hens most likely to have laid the eggs in question)
DSC00063.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

Oh and I'm guessing that chick 1 is male because:
He came 3 days early
wink.png

He has a wrinkley thingy between his eyes
When he hatched he had a wierd extra thingy between his legs below where he was connected to the yolk.
Could I be right?

Last edited:
A weird extra thingy....well, that about sums it up!!! LOL!!! I don't know if those reasons are why he could be a roo, but I read a few posts where most people experienced their first to hatch always being a roo....so you could be right! Don't know about which hen could be the culprit, though....Cute little chickies!!! Congrats on the hatch!!!

It's way too early to know for sure, and you may never know for sure...but, that chick #2 looks exactly like the black hen in the nest box to me!
smile.png

If number 2 came from a bluish egg, then your white and black hen is probably the Mom. She looks like she's probably an Easter Egger......I don't mean the black and white one that looks like a barred rock though.

Hard to say on the others.

If that one is a barred rock, they lay medium brown eggs.

Looks like chick #1 came from the black hen in pic #2.
Chick #2 must have came from your EE hen (the white and gray hen)
Chick #3 looks like it came from your Dominque

Back
Top Bottom