Which of these makes the best pets?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BantamFan4Life, Sep 16, 2012.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Which of these breeds I listed would make the best pets. Please list the best four (please pick one of the list):

Crevecouer
    Houdan
    Naked Neck
    Sussex
    Langshan
    Faverolle
    Fayoumi
    Campine
    Standard Modern Game
    Dorking
    Phoenix
    Spanish

Thanks!!

2. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    "Best" depends on what you are looking for in a pet. From personal experience and research, the sussex and faverolle are probably the most friendly, needs to be near you, "dog-like" of the breeds you've listed. My speckled sussex are very much underfoot and the first of the flock to come running from whatever corner of the yard they happen to be in when they hear the back door open. Many people consider this to be a good "pet" trait, although some consider it to be annoying and potentially dangerous (I can't tell you how many times I've stepped on their toes or accidentally kicked them because they walked right in front of me where I couldn't see them while carrying something). Granted, they don't really let us just reach down and pick them up either, but I think that's largely because we don't make a habit of picking our chickens up and carrying them around. Handled differently I'm sure they would behave differently when we tried to pick them up. From my research, Faverolles tend to be very docile and friendly too.

Fayoumi and Campines are both very flighty breeds and from everything I've read they are not at all cuddly nor do they like when you try to pick them up. The flightiness actually makes them more attractive to some people though, who see it not so much as a spastic chicken who freaks out when you approach as a chicken who is alert to their surroundings and better able to spot and evade predators.

I will admit to not knowing enough about any of the other breeds to comment on how they might be as pets. I recognize all of them, but on the various occasions when I have researched breeds for myself none of them really caught my eye enough to do much research into those breeds for whatever reason. I know a lot of people are very happy with their naked necks, and if I thought I stood half a chance to convince my husband to look past the featherless necks I probably would have considered them when looking into various breeds for our own flock.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  3. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I mainly looking for a pet chicken where you can go around you backyard and pick up the chicken. Instead of running away and you have to literally chase them to catch them.

4. BantyChickenLuv

BantyChickenLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Oregon
    I do not recommend Campine's at all. Very flighty. Favorelles make very nice pets though. I know Cochins arn't listed, but my girl is super friendly and runs up to you when you go in the coop.

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No

6. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Thanks Guys!! Cochin is on the list now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by