Which of these two chickens should I get??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sdh27, Feb 6, 2014.

1. sdh27

sdh27 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Hi everyone :) I am new here and not sure where to post this so I thought this would be best.

I am picking up an Araucana pullet next week. I want one simply because I love their looks and my niece likes to collect the eggs and I thought some blue/green eggs would be fun! I heard that only the lavender coloured ones lay the bluey eggs.

These chickens are from a breeder who is selling these birds as pet only/non show quality chickens, which of course doesn't bother me. I really like the chicken with cream splashed through her coat, but I know the other one looks more typical of the breed. Does anyone have an opinion as to which chicken will be better? I also noticed one has white legs (which seems different) while the other has dark. Will this affect the egg colour or will they both lay blue eggs?

Here are the chickens... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

You heard wrong. Neither feather color nor leg color has anything to do with the color of the egg shell. All true Araucana will lay blue eggs. That’s just part of the genetics that makes hem true Araucana.

Those are not show quality. That breeder is being honest with you about that. It looks like some other breeds may be mixed in with them so the egg might not be blue, but is extremely likely to be at least green. Something to look for is the comb. It is not an absolute guarantee, but the blue egg shell gene tends strongly to follow the pea comb. Both look like they have the pea comb gene so the odds are really good they will both lay either blue or green eggs.

I don’t know what your criteria is for “better” but since you are not buying for a breeding program for show birds, just get the one you like best.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    are you sure the middle darker one is a hen?? you dont need to get either one, you can send them both to me. hahaha

4. sdh27

sdh27 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks very much :) I hadn't been told anything about the leg colour, I was just thinking that it may have some effect if the feather colour did - but I guess that doesn't either!

Yes she does seem like a nice honest lady - she hasn't said anything about any other breeds being mixed in, I think she only has this breed. I don't want show quality at all, I just want a cute hen that will lay coloured eggs. She told me that they will lay a 'blue-green' egg but I wanted to check on here what people thought just to be safe. If they both have the same likelihood I think I will get the one with cream :)

5. sdh27

sdh27 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Haha I think so? She said it was and I'm sure a breeder would know. Hahah I think I will keep them for myself sorry ;)

6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well, i dont know why you dont take them both. [​IMG]

7. sdh27

sdh27 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    Unfortunately I can't afford two fancy pullets right now, and I also don't want to build my flock up too quickly with all young pullets now, as I want to be able to add a couple more when the ones I have don't lay as much. I think the maximum I can have in the city here is 6

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    oh, that sucks !! i didnt know they were expensive. i couldnt live in the city anymore, it would kill me.

9. sdh27

sdh27 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    They aren't expensive - per say - but they are more than your average laying hybrids and, being a uni student studying to be a vet, I am preeeeeetty broke at times!

10. sdh27

sdh27 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2014
    I can't wait to move out of the city, but that will have to wait until I graduate :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by