Which one is laying? From an English novice hen keeper!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rachelb, Mar 6, 2008.

1. rachelb

rachelb Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Hi, I have a partridge orp and a buff orp and I cannot work out who is and who is not laying? They both disappear into the coop at similar times. I think one is laying regularly and the other has not laid since November time - the mounlt seemed to last for ages. Being new to this whole thing is there something physical which I should check? Would their vents look different? Can you feel an egg inside a chicken before it's laid? Sorry for my naivety! [​IMG] Rachelb

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Could they each be laying every other day or so? I have some that do that. Show us photos of your orps from that side of the pond please. Please! We love orps!

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I had that problem someone was laying small brown eggs but I could only catch my little 1/2 bantam sitting on this egg, she was supposed to be laying white eggs so it couldn't be her.

I stalked them until I found the little bugger sitting on that egg, it was my little bantam laying brown eggs. Only tells you there are no rules.

I also drilled a hole on one side and use the plug that I drilled out to plug up the hole and I look through it and wait for them to get up and then get retrieve the egg and that solves the problem. You only have 2 so it will not be so hard. But you need patience. Good luck...[​IMG]

4. rachelb

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Wow, what would my neighbour think! I've spent all this morning reading this site and enjoyed every minute of it! I really must get back to work (I work for myself at home), but now I need to keep popping out to catch them in the act!!

By the way, do you know whether chickens like wind? We're really windy here and as a result the chickens tend to spend a lot of time in their coop.[​IMG]

5. rachelb

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Quote:Thanks I need to catch them in the act I think! I'll try and get some photos soon. Rachelb

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi, rachel! My chickens dont care for heavy sustained winds. They'll stay inside much more when we have those.

7. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    You can try looking their vents and comparing the two. A laying hen's vent is moist and oval-shaped.

8. rachelb

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Quote:Thanks Cynthia, roll on the summer![​IMG]

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thanks Cynthia, roll on the summer

Amen to that! [​IMG]

10. rachelb

Mar 6, 2008
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Well, I still have not been able to establish which bird(s) is laying as I have not been able to catch either at it! I am still getting one egg almost every day (from 2 orpingtons), but today the egg was tiny. I am wondering whether the buff orp, who I am sure has not been laying since October, may have just started again. If she has not been laying for some time would the first egg be small? If not, why would the egg be so small?

I still have not got the photos yet as our weather is horrible at the moment and everything is a bit wet and drab! As soon as the sun shines I'll get the camera out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by