Which one is the crower? Welsummer or Brown Leghorn

mammachick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 15, 2009
Here is our backyard flock, they are now about 13-14 weeks old. We have been hearing suspicious sounds form the coop this week. My DH was out there today and all of them were out of the coop, except one, he said it was either the light tan or the reddish color one when he heard what sounding like it trying to crow.

Also, can you tell me if the two that look alike are welsummer or brown leghorns?

These are the breeds we think we have:
2 Brown Leghorn or Welsummer
1 White Leghorn
1 Cuckoo Maran
1New Hampshire Red
1 Buff Orpington

Does that sound about right?

42990_img_0769.jpg

42990_img_0773.jpg

42990_img_0778.jpg

42990_img_0779.jpg

42990_img_0791.jpg

42990_img_0793.jpg

42990_img_0795.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed it's the Marans.However that brown isn't a leghorn.Leghorns Always have white earlobes and yellow legs..Also leghorns by a month old have larger combs than any of your ladies if they are little roos and they crow very early.Take a look at your pictures of your leghorn and compare the bodies to the brown one..the leghhorn is longer and leaner looking for lack of a better description and her tail is more upright..my kids call them the "pointy" chickens.The different colors do vary some in body shape but not an awful lot.We have a leghorn collection that includes nearly every color
big_smile.png
Hope that helps you some.

I agree with the others - the cuckoo marans is the only cockerel in the bunch - the rest are pullets. Your guesses look good to me - the mystery breed must be a welsummer, since it doesn't have white earlobes. Brown leghorns have white earlobes and lay white eggs - welsummers lay brown eggs and would have red earlobes.

edited to add: If your tan or red chicken was a roo - it would have a much larger comb & wattles by now. The following pic is of my buff orpington & black australorp cockerels at only 7 weeks of age:

newBRs-EEs015-roos.jpg

Last edited:
Agree the Cuckoo Maran is the crower. The ear is basically a hole in the head with small feathers covering it that is located behind the eye at a diagonal slant. Kind of like a human ear they just don't have the appendage. The earlobe is below the ear. It is basically a patch of extra skin and will typically be colored red (or pinkish) or white depending on the breed.

Here is a leghorn hen.She's a buff not a brown because I already had the pic uploaded
smile.png
She's a year and a half in the pic-taken in freezing wind.You can see the white patch of skin near her ear,that is her ear lobe.Their combs will flop or begin to flop around time of lay.
35655_chickens_018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom