Which one is the Red Star?? (pic)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CutestChickenFarmer, Jul 11, 2007.

1. CutestChickenFarmer

CutestChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    [​IMG]

I ordered the following from My Pet Chicken:

Ameraucana (the huge one)
    Red Silkie Bantam (the tiny one)
    Cuckoo Maran (the dark one)
    Delaware
    Red Star

Is it me, or did they send me two Delawares?

Somebody please help!

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    i'm very sorry i don't know. . .they are very tiny. . .and it's hard for me to tell...but they are cute little ones!
    -alex

3. CutestChickenFarmer

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    I just got off the phone with customer service at My Pet Chicken. I sent the photo to them as well. She told me that it does appear that I've been sent two Delawares. I haven't broken the news to my husband yet; he wanted a Red Star so badly and had already named her.

She also told me that they wouldn't have any Red Stars for the next 6 weeks, and that if the hatchery has to replace one chick for another, they will contact customer service so that it can be coordinated with the person who's buying them.

She sent the photo off to the hatchery and is waiting to hear back from them as to what's going on.

Otherwise, the chicks are happy and healthy and eating like crazy.

4. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Hmm... they look just like my Delawares did, right down to the spots on the head!

Delawares are great chickens, though -- friendly and relatively smart. I love mine...

5. CutestChickenFarmer

Jun 26, 2007
    Delaware
    Hi Pattycake, are your Delawares of a cuddly nature? I really wanted some friendly people-loving birds.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, two delawares. Hopefully you can figure it out. I find that personality depends on breeder stock and extreem amounts of handling. A red star from one hatchery can be entirely different in temperment, size and color than a red star from another hatchery.

7. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Quote:So far my Delawares are definitely on the friendly side -- curious and calm and usually the first to come when I bring snacks. They're really cute, actually, with their white wings flapping at the first sign of treats! They're not crazy about being cuddled, but they do sit in my hand. I have a buff orp who likes to be stroked, and they're not like that, but they're much nicer than the Jersey Giants, Sussexes, Partridge Rocks, and RIRs.

8. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I have two delawares that are about 10 weeks old and they are very friendly birds. They are suppose to be awesome layers with extra large eggs.I have a few redstars as well which i really like but i think you will like your deli's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by