which one laid the pink egg? (edited with update on pg 2)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BankerJohn, Aug 22, 2010.

1. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    I got a pink egg. the 3rd one. I do not know which bird is laying it. Can you please help?

I have the following:
    1 Barred Rock
    2 White Leghorns
    2 Rhode Island Reds
    2 Americanas

I know the BR is laying brown eggs but that is the only bird that I know is laying. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    One of the Americanas. The BR and RIR Lay brown and the Leghorns lay white.

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    It's one of the Easter Eggers you listed them as Americanas which is a hatchery term for their colored egg layers.They try to pass them off as Ameraucana's which is a breed that has a strict Breed Standard which hatchery birds don't come close to.They list them as colored egg layers or the Easter Egg chicken and they do lay pink on occasion..we have other breeds here as well that some people think look pink especially freshly laid but are brown egg layers..which pink actually is.

4. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Yes one of the ameraucana's or EE. I have an EE that lays a pinkish egg. Do you have a picture of your pink egg?

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Or it could be the BR or anyone else that lays a light brown egg that people think is pink.

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yeah, I'd guess one of the brown egg layers, often my eggs brown eggs look pinkish. For all the put downs, most of the mutt Americana/EE's lay blue or greenish eggs.

7. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    this is a PINK EGG, not pink hue. It is the same color pink as plastic egg cartons from the store. The cooler the egg gets, the more pink color it gets. So you think EE?

8. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    My PRs lay a very nice light brown with a pinkish hue but if its as pink as you say then it is probably your EE. Please post pics! We would love to see it!

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

EE's lay blue, green or pink. None of your other breeds do. They lay light brown & white.

10. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    It's the EE.
    Now I have a question for the OP: Are the eggs strong shelled and normal frequency? Our EE pink egg layer had very thin shells and laid erratically. She took long vacations and generally did not pay for her keep. I gave her 2 years and then rehomed her to someone who wanted tick-eaters and didn't care about laying.
    I am curious if the pink egg gene is related to poor eggs/laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by