which one laid the pink egg? (edited with update on pg 2)

BankerJohn

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Lecanto, Florida
I got a pink egg. the 3rd one. I do not know which bird is laying it. Can you please help?

I have the following:
1 Barred Rock
2 White Leghorns
2 Rhode Island Reds
2 Americanas

I know the BR is laying brown eggs but that is the only bird that I know is laying. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
It's one of the Easter Eggers you listed them as Americanas which is a hatchery term for their colored egg layers.They try to pass them off as Ameraucana's which is a breed that has a strict Breed Standard which hatchery birds don't come close to.They list them as colored egg layers or the Easter Egg chicken and they do lay pink on occasion..we have other breeds here as well that some people think look pink especially freshly laid but are brown egg layers..which pink actually is.

Yeah, I'd guess one of the brown egg layers, often my eggs brown eggs look pinkish. For all the put downs, most of the mutt Americana/EE's lay blue or greenish eggs.

this is a PINK EGG, not pink hue. It is the same color pink as plastic egg cartons from the store. The cooler the egg gets, the more pink color it gets. So you think EE?

It's the EE.
Now I have a question for the OP: Are the eggs strong shelled and normal frequency? Our EE pink egg layer had very thin shells and laid erratically. She took long vacations and generally did not pay for her keep. I gave her 2 years and then rehomed her to someone who wanted tick-eaters and didn't care about laying.
I am curious if the pink egg gene is related to poor eggs/laying.

Back
Top Bottom