1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which one of these is most freindly/ your favorite?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by StarLover21, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Wyandotte

38 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Salmon Faverolle

35 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. Easter Egger

75 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Sultan

5 vote(s)
    0.9%
  5. Orpington

179 vote(s)
    33.1%
  6. Australope

47 vote(s)
    8.7%
  7. Sussex

30 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Polish

36 vote(s)
    6.7%
  9. Cochin

65 vote(s)
    12.0%
  10. Maran

30 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks!

2. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Wow! Post a thread in here and it gets pushed down fast.

3. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    You left out one of the most calm, friendly breeds. Brahmas

2 people like this.
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Brahmas, Shamos, Asil, Thais, Malgache, Malays, Ga Don, Brazilians, Houdans, Ameraucanas, Araucanas, a whole list of forgotten but very friendly breeds. [​IMG] Also Marans has an S on the end, plural or singular. [​IMG]

I really do think though that nothing beats Gamefowl when it comes to stable roosters and friendly hens. Either Oriental types or Americans, they've been bred to be non-aggressive and to be easily handled by people for hundreds of years.

Right behind that are the heavier breeds like Brahmas, Sussex (especially European lines) Cochins, Orpingtons (especially non-hatchery lines) etc. Don't know about Jersey Giants though, the ones I had were underweight and the most skittish I've had, but, that's just one experience of one strain.

3 people like this.
  5. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks!

I hate how when somebody votes on a poll, it doens't get pushed to the top. Polls just sink dooooooooooown. [​IMG]

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    thats a tough one- i discovered just since the descriptions say friendly etc, it depends on the bird- i had a pair of orps- sugar and spice, sugar was the friendliest and in your face, spice is still very standoffish- but generally i'd go with cochins

7. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I agree. It should go back up to the top when someone votes.

8. Pitchfork

Pitchfork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I like my orps, not only are they friendly to me but they have had about six different sets of 16 week old pullets placed in the coop since I got them five years ago and they never chase or bother the new girls. As each new group is introduced all the older hens, except for the orps, chase them around for several weeks, some like my Brahmas even go looking for the newbies to harrass them. But the orps will give them the evil eye if they get too close and that is it. The newbies get to sit next to them on the roost and drink beside them etc. They never bother with them. They are to dignified to stoop to chasing other chickens. And they are quiet and polite with each other. At times I think I can hear them saying to each other, "no you go through the door first". "no I insist you go first, I will be glad to wait". "nooo I insist you go first I will just wait here a bit". "well ok I will go oohh sorry I see you are going after all, well that's fine go ahead". "no I am terrribly sorry I didn't mean to get us stuck like this half in and half out of the door, gracious me if you can but breath in a little I think I can slip back out". "there now we are somewhat unstuck but which way were we going in or out I have forgotten". "I am not quite certain myself, but either way I insist you go first".

22 people like this.
  9. magnolia-1971

magnolia-1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

10. polishchickens111

polishchickens111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Over there
    I love all of these breeds- I'm getting a Sultan in the spring, and a BLRW. I love my Polish, she was flighty as a chick but now jumps on my knee whenever I offer treats and is an affectionate, dainty girl.

ETA I was thinking about Marans too but I have very limited space.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by