Which one? RRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Ok i am soo terribly frustrated!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Both of my themometers say something different!! I dont know which one to believe! I dont want to kill my chicks! They are both Acu-Rite themometers. One has been outside for a while, and the other one we bought yesterday because it has a hygrometer (humidity thingy). one (the old one), says lower all the time. The other one (new w/ hygrometer) says higher.
    I dont know which one to believe!! Has anyone had experience with either/or one of these? How can i know which one is right?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here are pics of them, still argueing about the temp.
    In this pic, the temp is very close. But they have been as much as 5 degrees different before.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    they all read a little different! I had 6 different ones. The humidity was never right on any of em....your better off with a hygrometer from the pet shop in the reptile department. As far as your thermomitors go...is there a big difference? if its only 1 degree it will be ok..if its 3 or 4 then it will be much harder. You would need to get a thermomitor that you KNOW is accurate to calabrate the others.

3. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    you need to calibrate them. [​IMG]

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    How do i do that?!?!

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:Are you saying i should'nt believe my hygrometer?

6. cajun Rabbit

cajun Rabbit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    those are digital, so you will need to check your manual. When we do our cooking thermo we put them in cold ice water let them sit for a bit them manualy turn them.

►Fill an insulated cup with crushed ice and water.

►The cup must have enough crushed ice to provide an environment of 32°F, so you may need to pack more ice into the cup during the process.

► When the mixture of the water has stabilized in about four or five minutes, insert the thermometer to be calibrated to the appropriate immersion depth.

►Be sure to hold the stem of the instrument away from the bottom and sides of the container (preferably one inch) to avoid error.

► If your thermometer is not accurate within +/- 2°F of 32°F., adjust the thermometer accordingly. The ice point method permits calibration to within 0.1°F.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use these and I have found them to be pretty accurate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    I have the same problem with the thermometer on the left. Mine fluctuates a lot (jumps from 97F to 99F and back again), while my built in thermometer is sitting steady. It's frustrating, and I completely feel your pain. I use the RH % as a guideline, but I'm not trusting it completely, so I've been weighing my eggs to make sure they're losing the right amount of weight before hatch day.

Good luck! I hope you have a successful hatch!

9. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    It can be very annoying when thermometers read differently. I always used my mercury filled rod thermometers as they're very reliable but unfortunately no longer available. I usually calibrate my digital ones against these.

However earlier this year I paid out and got myself a Brinsea Spot Check thermometer. A great piece of kit and you know then what your temperature is [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete [​IMG]

10. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

A human oral thermometer is very accurate also. You can test your incubator therometers with it. Of course an oral thermometer has a very limited range, so you will have to do it in the incubator. Also, here is a great test for your hygrometer. http://www.burgessviolins.com/calibration.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by