Which one should I buy? Incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gator113, May 16, 2011.

1. Gator113

Gator113 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    I'm new to this stuff.

I have Toulouse geese and Muscovy ducks. I have never owned or even seen an incubator... how's that for green? ;>)

I'd like to buy a GOOD or better incubator. I have been looking on the net and I am presently taking a close look at a Hova Bator ~Turbofan Incubator 2362N and Egg Turner 1611 Combo.

Looks like about $130 before accessories.

Is this a good one for Geese and Ducks or should I look at an even better one?

Does the Hova Bator have a good performance record with you folks?

Are they durable and known for long life?

What accessaries should I also buy?

Thank you....

Dan

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I have used a Hova Bator, for over 3 years, it works well. Make sure you have an accurate very good thermometer and a calibrated hygrometer. I also use the glass aquarium thermometers on top of my eggs for added assurance.

Depending on how much money you want to spend, Brinsea also makes a really good incubator, I have borrowed one before to use. But then again I have only hatched Chicken eggs, so not sure on other types.

3. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Ive used a hovabator 1588 genesis for a few years now and for a stryofoam bator there amazing. Temp is preset all i had to do was plug it in and add eggs and water. I would go with the 1588 for that reason. I have done ducks in it but not geese and it worked great. Only accessory you need is an eggturner, there life savers (literaly).

4. Gator113

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    Thank you.

I didn't know that they were made of styrofoam .

Are there other recommended incubators that are not made of styrofoam ?

5. Gator113

Apr 25, 2009
    Port Angeles, Washington
    On second thought, I'll give the styrofoam Hova Bator a try.

6. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    You will be amazing at how a stryrofoam bator can do. Ive had near 100% hatches on large batches of eggs and several 100% and 90+ on smaller batches. The hovabators realy seem to hold the temp realy well. Just make sure you get the right turner for your eggs (only difrence is the trays you can buy chicken,quail,geese etc trays).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by