which one to pick? (crele penedesenca cockerel)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by technodoll, Jan 22, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Looks like I may be adding one of these boys to the flock in a week or two! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're about 6 months old and apparently quite friendly... Lady who is selling them has too many roos and has to let a few go.

I'm speaking with her tomorrow and will ask for better pics, but based on this one: which would you pick?

Go for style or personality?

She might also have a young black penedesenca pullet available so crossing fingers I can get the pair...

Now how the heck do I set up my small coop so that nobody fights. UGGH!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  2. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    The bird closest to the feeder is Crele, the in the foreground is not, more of a Barred Black-tailed Red.
    David

3. star2525

star2525 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I upped the zoom level of my browser to 400 percent to look at the birds in the picture, I don't see at that zoom level any white earlobes on either of the two birds in the picture are you sure they aren't mixes? I'm looking for a Crele cockrel too but I don't want a mixed one, possibly she has some better pictures of them for you to look at. You can't really see the combs very well in those pictures either, I'd ask for some better pictures or close ups of the birds from her before I'd pay anything for them, especially if you're buying them as pure Penedesencas. Just my opinion and what I am seeing from the pictures posted, and Davids information is also valuable as to what to look for with that Crele pattern, so keep that in mind when you're looking at them. He knows what he's talking about for sure.

Victoria

4. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:Here is a better photo... he's 9 months old and suffered a bit of frostbite on the comb & wattles (she's selling him for $7):

[​IMG]

Apparently pure, not a mix... just might not be a good representative of the breed?

No white earlobes and he's quite dark...

She has a 4-mth old black pullet for sale too, I want to get the pair - should I go for it??

I just want nice dark eggs!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. star2525

star2525 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I'm betting he's a mix, hope David will respond to the picture just posted, leg color looks close, not having the White earlobes is what I saw right off the bat. The Black pullet definately should have those white earlobes even if she's a mix, have you saw this womans egg color? If all you're looking for is the dark egg color ask her to see her eggs. As for them being pure I don't think they are, not a bad price for a bird if you're satisfied with them and they are healthy, finding healthy birds can be a real issue and finding ones that have been tested for diseases is another issue, I'd ask also if she's innaculated them for anything some do Mareks. Most of the other diseases they don't mess with the Innaculations, and its just a given here in the States that you will get Mycoplasmas as they say that is in 75 to 90 percent of backyard flocks and passes to the eggs, so it keeps on going as carriers. I'd look them over real good, remember what is in her flock will be in yours when they come to you. Ask to see her breeders, and ask her what she does when birds get colds, that will tell you if she has had any issues with their health and will answer the question on respritory diseases in her flock for you. You can treat for Mycoplasmas, if its Infectious Bronchitis, it won't work for that, but there is an Innaculation for that, the trick is the Mycoplasmas have to be under control first to use the Innaculation otherwise you throw them into an epedemic state and the Innaculation doesn't take effect. Just be careful and ask alot of questions. If the Black one is pure and has the lobes to the back of the comb and has good egg color it should pass to the crosses created using just something like a Gamefowl Rooster, I've saw crosses eggs that were dark, like a 7 to 8 on the Marans color chart, so you could get some dark eggs producing pullets from the cross. I think the more generations away from the pure ones they possibly loose those white earlobes, not 100 percent sure on that and wish David would comment, he is very knowledgeable about breeding and has written a book on genetics in poultry, so I'd go with what he told you about which one is the Crele patterned bird.

Victoria

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
  7. Lin

Lin New Egg

Oct 9, 2009
    I am searching for Crele Penedesenca.
    Any info very much appreciated!
    Thank You,
    Lin
    [email protected]

8. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    BTW I decided to NOT get either roo, I will wait for a good purebred specimen.

I'll know what to look for in the upcoming agricultural fairs and chicken expos! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by