WHICH ONE TO USE? 2 thermometers 2 difft readings...ONE IS TOO HIGH!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newbiechickenowner, Mar 15, 2011.

1. newbiechickenowner

newbiechickenowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    OK so just when I thought all was normal. New incubator. With air fan motor. All working well. I have the plastic iwth the thermometer that came with the bator sitting on the top of the eggs. Then, I got a thermometer./humidistat that I have had laying next to the eggs on the wire floor of the bator. For four days, these have ALWAYS READ the same temperature...99-100 degrees....I check ALL THE TIME. They always match! NOW...today, I went in a couple of times and checked and the thermometer/humidistat was 99, but the one on top of the eggs is 104!!!!!!!!!! I adjusted and the other one went down the 97! So, then, I laid the plastic one next to the humidistat on the floor and it is matching the humidistat.....I checked and the fan is working FINE! SO...have I been frying my eggs all day? Why would they all of a sudden not match and have SUCH a difference from the top of the eggs to the bottom of the eggs???? Is my bator messed up already? (this is only day 7!) I am just a mess about this! 104?

What to do??????????????

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    104 on day 7 is like a hot summer day when the mommy gets up to go drink and scratch and stretch her legs a bit. 104 over long extended periods of time can be bad but your still fresh into your hatch. 105 is max temp before eggs start frying so. as long as you saw it fixed it then I am sure all is well. candle on day 10 and see how development is going cull quitters and have a happy hatch.

3. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    thank you for your reply. What do I do with the descrepency? Where do you measure your temperature? because I now have two different temps even with the airfan circulating! Which should I use?

I went to your website and your Buckeyes are beautiful!

Thanks, Stephanie

4. newbiechickenowner

Oct 28, 2009
    Georgia, VT
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by