Which one, Which one?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by swing123706, Jan 20, 2014.

1. swing123706

swing123706 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    So we own one Ameraucana and she likes to lay some pretty blue eggs. She went into a molt a little bit ago (in the middle of winter ugh!) A few days ago we got a green egg in our daily bunch. So unless Ameraucanas can change their color of egg (which I think I read they don't) we have a hidden chickens. These are our sex link chickens and until the green egg thought they were all Australorp hen/ Buff Orpington rooster crosses. The mother hid the nest and we never could find the remains. Our Ameraucana loved to hide their nests everytime we discovered them.All the chickens were born in August. We are still kinda new to chickens and I think I know who it is but I would like another persons opinions. Here are the Candiddates:
    [​IMG] When they were all little bits of fluff

[​IMG]I can't get close enough to look at their combs
    [​IMG]She is from a different clutch hatched a few weeks before the others showed up. Pretty sure she is the cross we wanted.

[​IMG]The green egg.

[​IMG]This one is really small. I took a picture next to our Bantam to show her size.

[​IMG]This is Mutt the Rooster that we thought was a hen. Same clutch as the mystery clutch. Do I see a pea comb on him?

[​IMG]Mutt

[​IMG]Anyone know what breed this old girl is? She was someones backyard chicken that I felt sorry for. It was a 14 year old Hispanic boy that didn't know any of the breeds he was selling. We would like to get some more of her breed.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    [​IMG]
    I'd say her just because she looks to be the only one with slate/greenish legs.

The last one is a Columbian something or another x. Legs are wrong for a rock and body shape is a little round as well.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure which of your birds is laying the green egg (none really look like Easter Egger/Ameraucana type birds). However, I can tell you that your last bird is a Light Sussex.

4. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

is it possible you could post a pic of the blue eggs? is there a drastic difference between the green and the blue? because the green egg looks like a hen egg and not a pullet egg (in size). sometimes my EEs eggs look more blue or at different times more green. are you sure the EE isn't done molting? if it is one of the other ones, i agree that it would probably be the one in the third pic or the closest one in the second pic.

5. swing123706

swing123706 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    We don' t have anymore of the blue eggs since she hasn't laid any since winter really began. We used them all. There is a significant difference in the color of the eggs. Maybe we can catch one of them in the act.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's the perfect time of year for an August hatched pullet to start laying, esp with the days getting longer. I think you have a new layer, just not sure who from those pics. I'd be looking for whoever has EE traits--pea comb, muffs/beard, dark legs. That'd be your green laying girl.

The shade of an egg might vary within the same color, but a bird won't change colors from one to another.

Your pretty white and black lady is a light Sussex hen.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  7. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Her comb and waddles aren't red and developed enough to be laying.

8. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

sure she can! my EE started laying when her comb was that small, it just has to be bright red, like that! the comb does look like a pea comb, the only thing that might make someone doubt is that she doesn't have a beard or anything. that is most likely the one, but you should just keep an eye out for when she lays.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by