1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which ones do I move?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stilldeb, May 17, 2011.

1. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have two chicken pens, each with a roo. One is a bit overcrowded and I want to move some hens to even it out a bit. They are separated by age and grew up together, except for the roos, I moved one over to the more populated pen. They are all Bantams, a mix of Brahmas, D'Uccles, Silkies, Sebrights, Cochin Frizzles, with a Polish and an EE in there, too. My question is, who do I move? The least dominant Silkie that waits til everybody else is in bed at night" Or the Cochin that chases others away from the feeder if she hasn't eaten yet? (I also have a brrody in each pen, which doesn't make life any simpler)

And what's the best way to do it? Should I wait til the girls are "unbroody"?

deb g
    KY

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I'd move the aggressive ones. If you really want them to have chicks then leave the broody ones though. Otherwise, move them. Whether or not moving breaks the broodiness depends on the chicken but if you want chicks I'd leave them.

And moving the aggressive ones not only gives the others a great relief, it puts them at the bottom of the pecking order in the new pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by