Which ones should i get?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rubyrogue, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    So in one of my coops my egg production is way way down. There are 12 hens and I am getting maybe 4 eggs a day. Two of the hens are broody(one raising babies the other sitting) so I can understand them not laying. So I am looking to replace them with some 3 month old pullets. I have my choice of barred ply. rocks, leghorns, or RIR. I sell my eggs at the farmers market. Right now I am selling eggs from my leghorns, sexlinks, and EE. Which breed would you get?

2. XHippieChickX

XHippieChickX Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Florida
    I would get a Leghorn, but that's just me. Sorry, I'm not helping you at all by saing "...but that's just me." LOL

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Plymouth Barred Rock. For sure. Dependable layers, calm demeanor, friendly birds, and pretty, too!

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I second above post. Plymouth Barred Rocks would be your best bet in the list you mentioned. They are friendly, wonderful birds who usually mature early and lay HARDILY! They lay through snow and mine have always been just great. I've heard Leghorns are flighty, and if you can get the same amount of production with a friendlier breed go for it [​IMG]

5. Fowl_language

Fowl_language Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Australia
    are they the only ones available or the only ones your interested in? If you can you should think about Australorps. Really friendly, not flighty and lay extremely well.

6. rubyrogue

Mar 8, 2010
    They are the only started ones avail right now. my leghorns will run up for treats and thats about as friendly as they get. god forbid you try and touch them.

7. Fowl_language

Fowl_language Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Australia
    lol my silkies are like that but my other chooks love to be held. did you buy them as chicks?

I reckon the plymouth barred rocks, they will at least give you 200+ eggs a year, plus they are friendly and very pretty.

8. myway57

myway57 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    blanchard La.
    Barred Rock ......

9. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    love my barred rock girls, so sweet. My BO's are great layers also and real sweet too.

10. rubyrogue

Mar 8, 2010
    So I guess I will get the Barred rocks. What size eggs will they lay? I would love to add some buff orps but cant find any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by