1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Which ones to keep!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katy, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The time has come [​IMG] for some of the chicks I hatched to find new homes. The poultry auction is this friday so I probably will be taking some there. I always hate trying to decide which ones to keep. I know you guys can't make the decision for me....I guess I just wanted to whine a bit about it. I hope the weather cooperates.

2. brooster

brooster Songster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    The first ones to eat scratch out of your hand. Thats what i would do.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They pretty much all do! Most of the little roos will be going.....I know that for sure. I really should get rid of a few pullets too, but I don't want to.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I know the feeling ....hubby keeps saying there is no more room in the inn!!!! I don't have any problem finding someone that wants some, just don't want to think of their fate....

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't like to think of the frying pan or stew pot either, but I was raised on a farm and know the realities of farm life, whether it's with a chicken or a calf.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I lived on a farm for years and never once gave a thought of butchering day and such, was a normal day ...must be just being more attached to these hens like their pets and I know not to name most of them.... lol

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe that's why I find it so hard to name any of my chickens....and I never even butcher any of them We have a cow herd and I make a point of naming the one we decide to fatten to butcher something like hamberger, steak or what ever.....kind of morbid I know, but I never forget where they're headed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: