Which ones to keep!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Katy, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The time has come [​IMG] for some of the chicks I hatched to find new homes. The poultry auction is this friday so I probably will be taking some there. I always hate trying to decide which ones to keep. I know you guys can't make the decision for me....I guess I just wanted to whine a bit about it. I hope the weather cooperates.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    The first ones to eat scratch out of your hand. Thats what i would do.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They pretty much all do! Most of the little roos will be going.....I know that for sure. I really should get rid of a few pullets too, but I don't want to.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I know the feeling ....hubby keeps saying there is no more room in the inn!!!! I don't have any problem finding someone that wants some, just don't want to think of their fate....

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't like to think of the frying pan or stew pot either, but I was raised on a farm and know the realities of farm life, whether it's with a chicken or a calf.

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I lived on a farm for years and never once gave a thought of butchering day and such, was a normal day ...must be just being more attached to these hens like their pets and I know not to name most of them.... lol

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe that's why I find it so hard to name any of my chickens....and I never even butcher any of them We have a cow herd and I make a point of naming the one we decide to fatten to butcher something like hamberger, steak or what ever.....kind of morbid I know, but I never forget where they're headed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by