Which ones to raise?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ElioraImmanuel, Jan 16, 2011.

1. ElioraImmanuel

ElioraImmanuel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    I'd thought about doing the Freedom Rangers this year because they are slower growing, but do the have the high mortality of the Cornish X? Will they get as large? I have a biggish family and size does matter. Our feed store does the chick days, but not until May. They offer the Cornish X. However, it can be very hot here by the end of June and by July...well, f o r g e t It!

So, what do I do? Stick w/the Cornish X and start 'em early. I keep them inside for 3 weeks in the heated garage. When would be a good time to start in Ohio?

Or, do I switch to the Freedom Rangers? How long do they need to get 9-13#?

TIA!

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    [​IMG] Good question. Wish I had an answer. I'll bump this for ya! [​IMG]

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I didn't think I would like the CX, & they were stinky and ugly. But other than hauling water and keeping them cool, they were an easy and efficient way to grow meat. If you have kids you have half the work done for you anyway! I will be doing 4 times as many this year, but earlier to avoid the heat.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a BYC discussion where jakobvanschagen tracked the growth of the Freedom Rangers.

There was an even better discussion that tracked weight and feed consumption by week, but I cannot find it. Anybody?

I am considering these birds for my possible meat flock, depending on my chicken math....

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
  6. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    in my experience freedom rangers have as lower mortality rate, and i don't think that they take all that much longer to get up to size than cornish cross, after raising them last year i'd never go back to the cx

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Ok...what's a freedom ranger? Never heard that before... [​IMG]

Scratch that...just looked it up! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I did both last year, my preference would be the CX's. I didn't have to keep around as long. Both of the breeds free ranged the same amount. I lost more FR then the CX's, I also had more FR. I like the meat of the CX better. I did keep one FR hen to breed with my FBCM roo. She justed started laying and lays these huge jumbo double yolkers.

10. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    The Cornish x was specifically bred for the highest feed conversion rate in the shortest time possible in chickendom. This being the case, these birds need a little different handling than your average chicken. The Cornish X needs to have their feed intake limited to 12 hours full feed then 12 hours no feed after 2-3 weeks of age. Excersise is also helpful. Some people raise them in chicken tractors, while others report great success in free ranging. In over 3 years of raising 25 Cornish X 3 times per yar, I may get 1-2 dead on arrival, but I haven't lost a single one prior to their invitation to freezer camp. I harvest at 6 weeks for an average of 5-6lb. carcass or at 8 weeks for a 6 1/2 - 8 pound carcass. They are specifically bred for this performance. You can get them to grow to 13 weeks and you can get @ 11-13 pound carcass, however you may run a risk of some mortality. So, in 6 weeks, I harvest 5.5 pounds x 25 birds = 137.9 lbs. Or at 8 weeks, I harvest 7pounds x 25birds = 175 lbs of meat. With the Rangers, others here report that at 13-15 weeks the carcass will range at 5-8 pounds. So on average, they will produce 7 lbs. average x 25 birds = 175 pounds of meat in 13 weeks. The difference is 13 weeks - 8 weeks = 5 weeks of work. Hey, if I could work just one more week to 6 weeks, ( 5 weeks saved + 1 more week = 6 weeks) I could raise 137.9 pounds more meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by